Leaking roof with no felt

mreinor

Hi, I'm in the process of buying a house, and the roof has several spots where I can see daylight (albeit small) which is allowing in water causing damp in a couple of upstairs bedrooms. The roof is slate but has no felt membrane. Will this likely need an entirely new roof, or can a membrane be fitted retrospectively and the loose tiles refitted? The house is a 3 bed semi.Many thanks

I have a house with no felt, it isn’t an issue as the roof is in good condition so it’s water tight and allows it to breath. 

Its really down to if the actual roof covering is in good repair as the felt acts as a second weather proof layer. 

Its impracticle to fit the felt from underneath so would require re roofing. 

Really down to if you feel the slate layer is doing it’s job or not. 

Edited by Russell griffiths

Check the nails that are holding the slates in. If there are iron and have rusted, the roof (slates) will need redone at some point with copper nails 

Definitely find out the reason for the damaged/missing/slipped slates before proceeding.

4 hours ago, mreinor said:

Hi, I'm in the process of buying a house, and the roof has several spots where I can see daylight (albeit small) which is allowing in water causing damp in a couple of upstairs bedrooms. The roof is slate but has no felt membrane. Will this likely need an entirely new roof, or can a membrane be fitted retrospectively and the loose tiles refitted? The house is a 3 bed semi.Many thanks

How old is it?

Depending on how many leaks and how long its been like that the problem could range from just a few damaged slates need replacing to the whole roof structure needs replacing. 

I have a Slate roof thats been on for a very Very long time ...... maybe nearly 80+ years it’s got no felt and the nails are in A terrible State but i go Up once a year and replace broken, cracked or missing slates And it’s still serviceable after the 7 years I have been here.....  If I could afford to replace the roof I would but I can’t so I will keep it repaired until I can. Post a pic of the roof as then people can see the general state of it which will help them give good advice. If your capable and you can get up there safely with ladders then it might be a case of a few simple repairs which could save you many thousands of pounds.  

• Like 2