Glass gable ends. Looking for examples..

• 1 month later...
On 06/09/2020 at 09:59, simon45089 said:

Here is mine. Height is 4 .5 meters to ridge. Bi folds at the bottom. I didnt want a chunky steel splitting the top and bottom section horizontally and it would have  made the portal frame design redundant. The horizontal piece of steel used was as thin as possible and had a vertical piece of steel added in the centre to tie to the steel at the top and prevent sagging. This was clad in black aluminium by the window manufacturer to disguise it.

Glazing was from a place in Middlesborough, and was 10 k less then my next quote. Happy to share details if required.

Gable.JPG

I am going to be doing a similar project, could you share your Middlesbrough supplie?

• Like 1

bmbifoldingdoors.co.uk

I have had some other doors and windows done by them since and am also very happy with them. Its a family business and they were receptive to "trade price deal" when I laboured the point that I was a self builder.

Good luck.

Simon.

Here’s mine. We wanted sliding doors to get outside so had to go with a cross beam for wind shear without having double frames where the door is. I also wanted frameless windows from inside and very thin frames so went with the cross beam in the end. It’s also pretty wide at 6m

9FB0255D-2616-4F04-B402-7C525E861C2C.jpeg

Edited by gc100
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Mulberry View said:

The curtain conundrum is what's putting us off having a glass gable in our bedroom design. We haven't seen anything that we like the look of yet in terms of a solution to that.

It is difficult. We didn't want a transom on our three quarter glazed gable so window dressing was tricky. We made some vertical blinds as an experiment and they are still there.

1390688697_Gableblinds.thumb.JPG.96d1c7e2b9afa019c755c04de605a2bb.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Only a small example. My sun room, the last bit of the house that we are just finishing now.

sunroom_2.thumb.jpg.a509b7398639c54e03e92323448ff201.jpg

Maybe not the clean look some want as there is a stack of beams between the 2 panes to support the roof ridge beam.

• Like 2

@Olly P That's Beautiful, well done.

Mine will look close to this, although the glazing company have suggested the triangle piece will need an upstand so the horizontal bar wont quite be at the angle.  Also interested in insulating the steels question, but also the detail for the bit between floors, I cant quite visualise in my mind how the pieces will go together.

image.png.f78d30dbe89863ab6cc967238d4ed76a.png

• Like 1

My apologies for butting into this thread - but gable end glazing is very much on my mind & this thread popped up.

Olly P

Kudos  - a bloody great hole without, apparently, knowing quite how to fill it! I'm sure you had a cunning plan.

I have a hole (on paper) that I'm trying to get a handle on how/who to glaze it.

I'm in the early research stages & these system suppliers surface: AluK; Origin & Sieger. I note that BMBifoldingdoors has been referenced in the thread - so worth a punt.

So, could you share any thoughts on who supplied your glazing & maybe any pointers to alternatives?

The same question is directed towards other contributors - I need all the advice I can get!

Cheers

• Like 1

Hi all sorry for the late reply. I fabricated the steelwork on site myself as I found it too difficult to get the frame measurements mm perfect. All steel work is 152 152 I beams and I insulated them with PIR on the inside. Essentially it is 2 sets of sliding doors with two triangular pieces of glazing above. I fitted a 70mm box section between the upper sliding doors and the triangular glazing ( filled the box section with PIR) to stop any wind deflection- works well. 

When designing the steelwork frames the best advise I can give is to think about every stage. Think about the timber rafter sizes, where the steel ridge will land and the connection specified, what size insulated plasterboard will be fitted and where the soffit will finish on the outside.  I couldn't be 100% sure of all of this so I built the frame onsite in stages I.e posts out of the ground then horizontal in at 1st floor level then when blockwork complete the apex above. 

On 22/04/2021 at 13:13, crispy_wafer said:

@Olly P That's Beautiful, well done.

Mine will look close to this, although the glazing company have suggested the triangle piece will need an upstand so the horizontal bar wont quite be at the angle.  Also interested in insulating the steels question, but also the detail for the bit between floors, I cant quite visualise in my mind how the pieces will go together.

image.png.f78d30dbe89863ab6cc967238d4ed76a.png

That looks really good. The horizontal beam at 1st floor level, the top of the steel needs to sit flush with the 1st floor so you can sit the glazing or door frame etc onto it. As the steel beam was smaller than the floor joists I built stud work underneath with insulation and a membrane to fix the top rail of the downstairs sliding doors to ( the downstairs doors are 2.4m high). 

Then I finished the outside with a 400mm fascia board that tucked behind the upstairs doors cill and used some soffit board between the fascia bottom and the downstairs doors. Hope that makes sense! I got all the Ali trims from factory that made the doors and glazing so they were all the same RAL. 

• Thanks 1

On 27/04/2021 at 09:47, PeterTweeter said:

My apologies for butting into this thread - but gable end glazing is very much on my mind & this thread popped up.

Olly P

Kudos  - a bloody great hole without, apparently, knowing quite how to fill it! I'm sure you had a cunning plan.

I have a hole (on paper) that I'm trying to get a handle on how/who to glaze it.

I'm in the early research stages & these system suppliers surface: AluK; Origin & Sieger. I note that BMBifoldingdoors has been referenced in the thread - so worth a punt.

So, could you share any thoughts on who supplied your glazing & maybe any pointers to alternatives?

The same question is directed towards other contributors - I need all the advice I can get!

Cheers

See below. I used a local upvc trade supplier who I bought the alu doors and glazing off. The 2x sliding doors and glazing cost around £8k in total. 

• 8 months later...
On 06/09/2020 at 09:59, simon45089 said:

Here is mine. Height is 4 .5 meters to ridge. Bi folds at the bottom. I didnt want a chunky steel splitting the top and bottom section horizontally and it would have  made the portal frame design redundant. The horizontal piece of steel used was as thin as possible and had a vertical piece of steel added in the centre to tie to the steel at the top and prevent sagging. This was clad in black aluminium by the window manufacturer to disguise it.

Glazing was from a place in Middlesborough, and was 10 k less then my next quote. Happy to share details if required.

Gable.JPG

Hello.  I absolutely love this and am going to do something similar. Could you possibly send me some info on the price and spec please? Many thanks 

1 hour ago, JohnMo said:

Scottish larch, which I still have treat with a UV protection

thanks. how long has that been up there? how often do you need to treat with UV protection to keep the colour?

I'm asking as this is very pertinent to decisions we're needing to make very soon.