Breathable Membrane running down hill

4 minutes ago, GrantMcscott said:

Just noticed the guy that is putting on the Breathable Membrane that on one side of the roof it is not parallel with the eves.  it is running down hill by about 30 degrees also has a lot of patches in it.

Will this angle matter?

Have you got time to take and post us a picture? It would help us help you.....

When on the scaffolding I am to close to capture the issue and you can not see it from the ground.

try to explain better

so if you were doing it properly you would lay it parallel with the roof eaves.  Mine is not parallel it runs down hill by 30 degrees.

At the eaves on the left hand side you see about 200 mm of the OSB and if you look on the right hand side the membrane is down to the eaves

does that help

3 hours ago, GrantMcscott said:

When on the scaffolding I am to close to capture the issue and you can not see it from the ground.

try to explain better

so if you were doing it properly you would lay it parallel with the roof eaves.  Mine is not parallel it runs down hill by 30 degrees.

At the eaves on the left hand side you see about 200 mm of the OSB and if you look on the right hand side the membrane is down to the eaves

does that help

I get what you mean when explaining the angle - its been laid on wonky?‍♂️

You mention that at the eaves there is OSB exposed on one side.  Is this an issue, maybe if I envisage it correctly.

The membrane should start at the eaves and work up, so that each subsequent layer laps over the one below it. Therefore any water will run from top to bottom  over the membrane and not under it.

If a corner is exposed how will that now be covered? As the membrane on that bit of exposed OSB should run under the piece of membrane that covers the rest of the roof at eaves level. Does that make sense?

So in a nutshell, wonky is not an issue, just poor workmanship and a waste of materials. The important bit is making sure the laps are correct.

Edited by LA3222

44 minutes ago, LA3222 said:

I get what you mean when explaining the angle - its been laid on wonky?‍♂️

You mention that at the eaves there is OSB exposed on one side.  Is this an issue, maybe if I envisage it correctly.

The membrane should start at the eaves and work up, so that each subsequent layer laps over the one below it. Therefore any water will run from top to bottom  over the membrane and not under it.

If a corner is exposed how will that now be covered? As the membrane on that bit of exposed OSB should run under the piece of membrane that covers the rest of the roof at eaves level. Does that make sense?

So in a nutshell, wonky is not an issue, just poor workmanship and a waste of materials. The important bit is making sure the laps are correct.

I will tell him to make sure it laps correctly and the OSB is cover but if it is wonky will it mater if it is lapped correctly

6 minutes ago, GrantMcscott said:

I will tell him to make sure it laps correctly and the OSB is cover but if it is wonky will it mater if it is lapped correctly

It won't matter...as long as its all covered...but jesus that would drive me insane. Who doesn't do something straight...that would send me OCD wild. ?

• Like 1