The bureaucracy…

Groundswork army ready to move into site, applied for condition 6 to be discharged (surface water drainage), now drainage engineer does not trust previous test results, wants to come next week and assist in undertaking perc test so he can crunch numbers for me and advise on alternative soakway design…..

And I thought I was going to start 2 months ago!!!! another week anxiously waiting….

Hawd on - doesn't trust the previous results?! Not knowing any more about it the good old cynic in me says he's just printed his own money! Do you have to pay for any additional work/time of his/hers? What if there is a redesign?

If there is a change after your BW docs are submitted, this will need to be updated eventually. 

What rational have they given for this change of heart?

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, hmpmarketing said:

Groundswork army ready to move into site, applied for condition 6 to be discharged (surface water drainage), now drainage engineer does not trust previous test results,

Is this a pre-condition?

Because if it isn't, you don't have to wait.

• Like 1

According to him, there was not enough data in one of the boreholes that the soil survey dug (3 of them). So because there was no data for one of them, he wants me to re-do it.

And no, thankfully he is not charging for it, to be honest I think he is trying to be helpful as I did tell of my urgency in starting.

12 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

Is this a pre-condition?

Because if it isn't, you don't have to wait.

It is a pre-condtion:

"Development shall not commence until full details of the proposed surface water drainage scheme have been submitted to and approved in writing by the Local Planning Authority."

We submitted a soakway design plan however he wants to make sure it is compatible with what the test data reflects.

Frustrated but nothing I can do (apart from starting before the discharge and risk pissing them off)

Edited by hmpmarketing

I have heard it argued that site clearance does not constitute a 'start'. I'm in a hurry so I can't quite put my finger on it, but there are some threads on here about what a start really  is.

I think, some LPAs regard a start as digging the water connection or something similar. I have a strong feeling that clearing off the site is  gardening , not development. So, you can get the site cleared at least.

Good luck!

Ian

12 hours ago, jamiehamy said:

Hawd on - doesn't trust the previous results?! Not knowing any more about it the good old cynic in me says he's just printed his own money! Do you have to pay for any additional work/time of his/hers? What if there is a redesign?

Not sure where your based but near me we've had a number of high profile soakaway failures in the past few years.

Basically the Engineer has designed a large attenuation tank to deal with the stormwater on a medium sized development, the Client and Architect moaned about the cost and suggested / insisted ground infiltration / soakaway solution. A single (isolated) infiltration test was carried out which showed a half decent infiltration rate. Soakaway installed, next big storm, property floods etc. etc.

Said Engineer's PI takes a hit ...

Not surprised your guys being abit twitchy

yea I do understand their concerns. we had the alternative to going straight to mains, but then there is another set of paperwork to ask the authority for "permission" to do so

3 hours ago, recoveringacademic said:

I have heard it argued that site clearance does not constitute a 'start'. I'm in a hurry so I can't quite put my finger on it, but there are some threads on here about what a start really  is.

I think, some LPAs regard a start as digging the water connection or something similar. I have a strong feeling that clearing off the site is  gardening , not development. So, you can get the site cleared at least.

Good luck!

Ian

I did a thread on this last month (regarding what constitutes starting), thing is, my groundswork wants to begin with digging for foundations, then service trenches.... it wouldn't make much of a difference to him starting a week before with clearing the site as that shouldn't take long he reckons