Openreach - New Connection

Looking for some advice about arranging my new connection.  Have read everything I can online and so far just getting confused.  I originally contacted BT who said yes they could organise the connection but not until I signed up for a phone package.  Decided to go straight to OpenReach and filled in the registration form.  I now have an email saying they want to charge me a non-refundable £299 to send someone out to survey the job and that they have a 25 day lead time.  Is this the standard response or have I done something wrong?  Can't find any info regarding this fee for surveying the job anywhere.  I thought it was free up to £3400?

Any advice welcome.

I didn't have to pay a fee and don't know anyone else that did.

In my case the OR engineer showed me where the phone trunk cable was and gave me a coil of underground phone cable and basically left it to me go get the cable there (which was actually easy)

Just now, ProDave said:

I didn't have to pay a fee and don't know anyone else that did.

In my case the OR engineer showed me where the phone trunk cable was and gave me a coil of underground phone cable and basically left it to me go get the cable there (which was actually easy)

Thanks ProDave.  I did think if there was a fee payable someone would have mentioned it somewhere.  Think I'll have to give them a phone and dispute it.

We've tried twice to complete the online form that openreach say has to be completed before they will commit to acknowledging that they will be able to supply a domestic line, each time when trying to fill this form in we've hit a certain point where the terminology starts to baffle us and answers required are less than clear, so we tried phoning openreach to get some guidance but have not as yet had anyone actually answer the call(s) very frustrating to say the least. Any advice or do we just keep phoning and hope someone answers or perhaps put any old response on the online form and try to argue it out later.

PS.. the latter worked with the electric supply company but I felt guilty for putting the wrong info on to the application form.

10 hours ago, Peter M said:

We've tried twice to complete the online form that openreach say has to be completed before they will commit to acknowledging that they will be able to supply a domestic line, each time when trying to fill this form in we've hit a certain point where the terminology starts to baffle us and answers required are less than clear, so we tried phoning openreach to get some guidance but have not as yet had anyone actually answer the call(s) very frustrating to say the least. Any advice or do we just keep phoning and hope someone answers or perhaps put any old response on the online form and try to argue it out later.

PS.. the latter worked with the electric supply company but I felt guilty for putting the wrong info on to the application form.

I filled in the online form as best I could explaining I was a self builder not a developer and I did get a response online quite quickly but it would appear I have still been registered as a developer so I'm not sure how to avoid this.  They have made it very difficult - I spent a good 45 minutes going round and round on their website and couldn't find any way of registering as a self builder.