Thoughts on my draft floor plans?

freshy

V2 of ground floor looks good.

You might not need a pantry if you install a couple of full height pullout units or several under counter pull out units. These are more efficient on space than a pantry and with really well if not too wide. 300 or 400 wide work well. 
saving on the pantry will give you a bit more space. This might enable you to redesign things and give you more space for the study, fit example, which looks a little small.

4 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

I thought this was supposed to be a chalet bungalow with a hipped roof and dormers?

I'm waiting for the latest renders, here is the old one. There is a large dormer at the back which makes up the 3 windows. Front dormer above the garage is smaller in the render than it will be.

Front_Elevation_3D.PNG

@freshy this is starting to take shape! Looks good. Might be helpful to see the outline of the rooflights on the floorplan.

Nice use of jack and jill bathroom, but is this really necessary? Who would use the communal entrance to it from the landing when every bedroom has it's own ensuite? When I had suggested a jack and jill, it was so that you could get away with one bathroom less.

I like the walk in wardrobe behind the beds and I like how you've sited the beds in the middle of the rooms in the other bedrooms.

Have you thought about making the study open plan to the hallway, or do you need it to be quiet so you can take calls etc?

• Like 1

I am not sure that you have as much room as you think upstairs once you account for reduced headlight areas, but it is hard to tell from the render.

Main issue downstairs is having the stair open to the kitchen. That is an issue for fire regs and I would move the kitchen door to the other side of it. As here seems to be space in the upstairs landing I would have a half landing and turn the stair back on itself so it does not create a pinch point on the way into the kitchen. This would also widen the hall beside the stairs upstairs which is very narrow especially when it is such a big hall. Further  winder staircases are difficult to use and only normally used when people lack space, you have plenty of space for a proper half landing.

I would be tempted to do away with that study downstairs and have a proper cupboard and larger WC.

I know people like the idea of pantries, but I don't really see the point, how much food would you realistically keep in the house. If you really want one then fair enough.

Not sure about the utility room. I certainly wouldn't spend the money on it having 4 windows. They also get in the way of being able to use the wall space. Why not put a study off the back of the kitchen if you need two studies and make the utility room smaller. We have a large laundry room and the units are arranged in an L. I think units across from each other with lots of opening doors facing each other would get in the way. You would be better putting them all along one side. I would consider reconfiguring it so the boot room is larger and opens into the kitchen without going through the utility room. As you have a laundry room upstairs, what is the utility room actually for? We have the same arrangement and made the downstairs utility much smaller, it just has storage for cleaning supplies and a sink. On the other hand depending on what goes in there the plant room may be a little tight.

I like upstairs, bed 4 might be better with the bed against the side wall and losing the wall in the room as the bed is a bit tight to the window. Similarly if you did the same in bed 1 you could have room for some seats in as well. Those walls are normally used when the dressing or ensuite is behind them but in your case are eating into the space. Unless you really want to face the windows for a view?

Edited by AliG
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

Yes the elevation and plan clash massively.  The upstairs study will be about 3 feet tall.  If you are just trying out ideas then fine and some are good.  If this was from an architect I would sack them.

These are all my ideas which I'm going to present to the architect to discuss my requirements. It was to difficult for me to put the ceiling heights on my drawings, I do understand that it may not be an accurate representation, but will give him an idea of what I'm looking for.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Adsibob said:

@freshy this is starting to take shape! Looks good. Might be helpful to see the outline of the rooflights on the floorplan.

Nice use of jack and jill bathroom, but is this really necessary? Who would use the communal entrance to it from the landing when every bedroom has it's own ensuite? When I had suggested a jack and jill, it was so that you could get away with one bathroom less.

I like the walk in wardrobe behind the beds and I like how you've sited the beds in the middle of the rooms in the other bedrooms.

Have you thought about making the study open plan to the hallway, or do you need it to be quiet so you can take calls etc?

SWMBO insists on En-Suites for us & the kids. Guest/bed 4 not fussed about having an en-suite.

However we are keen on having TV's in the bedroom hence have a lounge area in the landing upstairs which can double up as a working space.

We both work from home (pre-covid era) and also need enclosed area for my loud phone calls as they are described.

2 hours ago, AliG said:

I am not sure that you have as much room as you think upstairs once you account for reduced headlight areas, but it is hard to tell from the render.

Main issue downstairs is having the stair open to the kitchen. That is an issue for fire regs and I would move the kitchen door to the other side of it. As here seems to be space in the upstairs landing I would have a half landing and turn the stair back on itself so it does not create a pinch point on the way into the kitchen. This would also widen the hall beside the stairs upstairs which is very narrow especially when it is such a big hall. Further  winder staircases are difficult to use and only normally used when people lack space, you have plenty of space for a proper half landing.

I would be tempted to do away with that study downstairs and have a proper cupboard and larger WC.

I know people like the idea of pantries, but I don't really see the point, how much food would you realistically keep in the house. If you really want one then fair enough.

Not sure about the utility room. I certainly wouldn't spend the money on it having 4 windows. They also get in the way of being able to use the wall space. Why not put a study off the back of the kitchen if you need two studies and make the utility room smaller. We have a large laundry room and the units are arranged in an L. I think units across from each other with lots of opening doors facing each other would get in the way. You would be better putting them all along one side. I would consider reconfiguring it so the boot room is larger and opens into the kitchen without going through the utility room. As you have a laundry room upstairs, what is the utility room actually for? We have the same arrangement and made the downstairs utility much smaller, it just has storage for cleaning supplies and a sink. On the other hand depending on what goes in there the plant room may be a little tight.

I like upstairs, bed 4 might be better with the bed against the side wall and losing the wall in the room as the bed is a bit tight to the window. Similarly if you did the same in bed 1 you could have room for some seats in as well. Those walls are normally used when the dressing or ensuite is behind them but in your case are eating into the space. Unless you really want to face the windows for a view?

Some great ideas as always and lots to think about.

Agree about the stairs moving and pantry.

Utility room is must for spice cooking, you'll understand when you come over for dinner!

• Like 1