Puzzled by what my architect's drawing means

dnb

I am a little puzzled by part of one of the drawings submitted for building control. Nobody has argued with it so I am not concerned about mistakes but I obviously don't get everything it is trying to tell me.

I can't post the actual drawing until tonight but here is a sketch to illustrate.

934318921_2020-08-2711_30_59.thumb.jpg.80f4fa24ac94581293bd5b6008aaaee7.jpg

The architect drawing looks like it has a support tray over the top of the 25mm over fascia vent, but shows the membrane as in my sketch, unsupported by the tray. So something doesn't look right.

The trays i have seen can't go under the vent because it will close the vent off and the membrane probably shouldn't go over the vent because it will close off the bit of roof that needs ventilation - my limited experience suggests that roof membrane would make a fine alternative to sail cloth! Am I missing a product that is designed to do this?

There isn't much experience locally of SIPS roofs and the architect is on holiday, but it seems a problem that must have a fairly standard solution so I turn to the best supply of building  experience I know about. My desire is to get any water on the membrane to drain in the gutter rather than down the fascia - especially not the inside edge of the fascia!

If the membrane is vapour permeable there is no need to ventilate UNDER it.  However where slates or interlocking flat tiles are used its advisable to ventilate between the membrane and slates. This isn't necessary when textured hand made clay tiles are used because they don't lay flat and there are lots of gaps.

So your sketch looks right. The vents are for the gap between membrane and slate and stop birds getting up there. They should also allow any rain that get blown under the slates to run down and escape. 

23 minutes ago, Temp said:

This one shows over fascia vents above a vapour permeable membra

This is more or less what I think the architect meant to draw. I am content the ventilation aspects of the roof itself are all correct. It is getting the detail at the eaves correct that concerns me.

It looks like the drawing Temp posted has a support tray under the vent or a combined part. This is probably what I need to find and what is not obvious on the original drawing.

I promise to post the original drawing when in get home. Can't do it while at work.

That Support tray is what I used, I got one called Easy Tray I think from Travis Perkins, very cheap.

The standard easy to get ventilator stocled by the builders merchants, would not work, I used an "OV10" vent strip which I got mail order from one of the building plastics suppliers.

tiles_2.thumb.jpg.b72cd2897ba0015f21edaaaf2dbaf789.jpg

1 hour ago, Temp said:

Toolstation and Screwfix

Why would I want to pay their prices? Found trays much cheaper than that, amazingly without needing to mail order!!

Looks like there are a few subtly different profiles of tray with different joggles and leg lengths from the drawings. Hopefully I have got one that works for my purpose. Cutting 20 of them would be a pain.

Here is the original drawing showing the source of the confusion:

Capture.PNG.7c259d636c77b499bbb52184c6263820.PNG

Note the tray appears over the vent and does not appear to support the membrane. There appears to be no tray under the vent.

Edited by dnb
Adding picture before I forget.

Be careful with cheap I brought about 25 cheapies and they where very thin and brittle, they split when nailed and if you tried to bend them a bit to alter the run into the gutter they split on the fold, the ones from the local merchants where so much thicker. 

I chucked them in the bin in the end.