Site Fencing Requirements England

Hi All,

I am trying to find out what fencing is required around the site.  All I have at present is a 1 metre high fence along the left hand side of our boundary. To the right hand side there is no fence but there is a workshop at around 6 metres high belonging to my neighbour. The road is a private road and a dead end, although people do walk along the road and there are no signs up saying private road.

I currently have two of the metal fencing units around 3.5 metres wide by 2 metres high going along the front of the property where the new house boundary ends together with a gate and a piece of 2 metre high fence.

I guess I will need to bring the metal fence closer to the road and join it up to where the current 1 metre fence ends, but will I need to place a higher fence where the 1 metre fence currently is and will I need to put any temporary fence along the right had side and if so will I need to run it the full length or can I use the Neighbours workshop and run the fence from the ends of the workshop.

Is it better to buy the fencing and sell it afterwards or is it better to rent.  

Site Fence.jpg

I dont know of any requirement to have fencing at all, however you need to take all reasonable steps to ensure no one is hurt on your site so it is prudent to use some kind of fencing and post danger / No unauthorized Access / Deep Excavations / trespassers will be shot at dawn etc.

Edited by markc

54 minutes ago, NewToAllOfThis said:

Is it better to buy the fencing and sell it afterwards or is it better to rent.

Buy it second hand - heras panels can be had for £10 each, bases the same. You can find it on Facebook market place or Gumtree, and probably sell it for the same that you buy it.  

Clamps are £1.50 each to buy new round here, and they always go missing. 

You have to make sure your site is not easily accessible... I think in reality that requires a 2m wall/fence/thorn hedge!

As above, security fence panels are only about £20 each new, and are easy to buy/sell second hand. If you don't take sufficient security measures, you insurance may be invalidated. 

Ask the neighbour if it is OK to fix the end of a panel to his workshop.  Are the adjacent pieces of land secure?

You really should secure the site with fencing - Heras type is simplest - to prevent unauthorised access.  It will help to prevent theft, trespass and vandalism.