Optimal placement of ASHP indoor units (primarily for cooling)

tanneja

I am likely to get a 3way (https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/iqool-c3ms9k9k9k/tcl-iqoolc3ms9k9k9k-air-conditioner) or 4way (https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/argo-4ms9k9k9k9k/argo-argo4ms9k9k9k9k-air-conditioner) split ASHP from appliancesdirect.  I wonder if they are happy mix and match between ceiling cassettes and wall units, will ask them today.  Their installation service seems very good value for money.

Question is where to optimally place the internal units so to have their effect experienced throughout the house.  Attached is my thought on how I might best get some cooling to most rooms, including the garage.  Would be appreciative for any opinions as to advantageous layouts.

Have attached a blank version of the layout without my doodles incase useful.444135994_Insidelayouts.JPG.thumb.jpg.415c4db7b6e6dba7c8574c2fe269c5be.jpg

2020-08-26 20.55.45.jpg

As you're installing an MVHR too, put it near the supply valves (or at least in the room with supply valves) so it naturally spreads from there through all the areas as it percolates towards the extract values.

Edited by joth
  • Like 1

@joth thank you, I did wonder that, borrowing the MVHR air flow to assist with the circulation.  Downstairs that is very doable, but upstairs MVHR supply is inside the bedrooms, so that would mean quite a few more AC outlets, basically a second multisplit.  I am getting some assistance with understanding what quantity of cooling would be needed given realistic expectation of air tightness.

Having said that, I do feel like I have read a strategy of some ASHP users is to turn off the MVHR when the AC is on, obviously impacting air quality, but preventing the cooled AC air exiting via the summer bypass.  This probably isn't a viable action if you intend to use the AC frequently.  My hope is it is a last resort for (historically speaking) out of character hot british weather.