How best to sell a carvan?

So the time has come to get shot of the caravan after faithfully housing us for over a year, it's a Ruby Atlas Super, 12x38 ft, two bed two door model with double glazing and gas heating / HW.

We bought it from a friend whose family run a local caravan park, it had got a little too out of date for their holiday clientele but was still in fine condition. However as that was private sale, not sure how to go about selling it on. 

Option A is to sell it to a dealer, would expect them to drive a keener deal but would perhaps be less hassle. Quite a few to choose from and even a 'webuyanycaravan.com' option!

eBay is also an obvious choice, so we could put it on auction with a minimum derived from what a dealer would give us.

Any other suggestions / experience?

We also have a container / site office combo to sell but as that came from eBay, that's likely how it will go also.

How quickly do you need shot of it?

Another self builder is presumably a good option. Perhaps worth mentioning to your builder to spread the word.

Whatever you do, don't let me get my hands on it. The last caravan I bought ended up looking like this:

image.jpg

On our previous build, I sold the static 'van on Gumtree.

A private seller is at a disadvantage, because of transport.  Up here there are only 2 people capable of moving them, and they are the two local caravan dealers. One flatly refuses to move vans not sold by them.  In fact when I sold ours, the buyer had to get someone from much further away to move it, as the local guys would not play ball.  On the other hand, buy one from (or sell one to) a dealer and they transport it for free.

So find out what the local dealers will offer you and make that your starting price on ebay, or ask a bit more on gumtree.

There are two dealers near here that both have a yard full of them, anything from quite decent ones recently off a holiday park, to old wrecks that they sell for £500 as site offices or storage.

The one we have on our new build was actually offered for sale ON a site. I wanted it because it was such an unusual layout (centre lounge, bedroom at each end) and they agreed to take it off the site and deliver it to us.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ProDave said:

On our previous build, I sold the static 'van on Gumtree.

A private seller is at a disadvantage, because of transport.  Up here there are only 2 people capable of moving them, and they are the two local caravan dealers. One flatly refuses to move vans not sold by them.  In fact when I sold ours, the buyer had to get someone from much further away to move it, as the local guys would not play ball.  On the other hand, buy one from (or sell one to) a dealer and they transport it for free.

So find out what the local dealers will offer you and make that your starting price on ebay, or ask a bit more on gumtree.

There are two dealers near here that both have a yard full of them, anything from quite decent ones recently off a holiday park, to old wrecks that they sell for £500 as site offices or storage.

The one we have on our new build was actually offered for sale ON a site. I wanted it because it was such an unusual layout (centre lounge, bedroom at each end) and they agreed to take it off the site and deliver it to us.

Thanks Dave, I have a local mover that the friend's site use and he got it from there to us and set up for £500. I've already put him on notice that it will be (hopefully) moving again soon.

Will take some photos and start to ring around the dealers for their quotes.

Wondering if this is a good time of year - I guess many people will be getting sites set up in the next weeks for a spring start. Also, spring flooding also seems to drive up the requirement for temp accommodation (although I would not wish that on anyone).

I suppose you *could* post an information page somewhere (blog?) and run some google ads. That has worked for me on occasion just by optimising the post to hit the top 3 Google results, but you nee a decent platform to start with.

Edited by Ferdinand