Solar Quote Help Please

1 hour ago, J1mbo said:

Because of the very limited feed In rates, the batteries are really an essential component. But with 12%+ return (at 28p) systems with batteries are pretty attractive imo

If we all have PV, and no batteries, and managed to generate around 150 GWh/day, electricity prices would be cheaper.

But if we all stored that energy locally, they would be higher.

28 minutes ago, LA3222 said:

Absolutely. I have bought a monitoring system to see what I use and where, it has sensors on 18 of my outputs - the major ones. I'm burning through roughly 34kWh a day at the minute.

A big chunk of our use is the ASHP and then cooking followed by washer/dryer. If I can dump all that onto PV during the day and charge a battery for night time use it should bring us right down.

Yes.. We use, at present, between 5 and 7 kWh a night between 10pm and 8 am. (about 5-10C over night).

At the moment we only generate an average of 6 kWh a day spasmodically depending upon the weather.

I will just go and see what we are using from the grid at the moment...  were using about 25kWh a day. about 10 kWh a day on heating and hot water.

I will monitor our night time use by taking reading when the sun first hits the panels until sun (when the thing gives up) and see what we are using.

Edited by Marvin
spelling error

3 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

If we all have PV, and no batteries, and managed to generate around 150 GWh/day, electricity prices would be cheaper.

Absolutely right, but if I understand correctly, we would need an effing big cable going all round the world to join us all up (is there enough copper on the planet??)

I think the satellite beaming the sun to solar collectors during the night is a more realistic but equally mad idea.

20 minutes ago, eandg said:

What's the current going rate for 4kW built-in system? Had intended on going the MCS route as we had an interest-free loan secured from a government scheme but I've been timed out it going into 2022/23. 

Circa 2.5k when I checked previously around a year ago.  

Edited by SuperJohnG

44 minutes ago, eandg said:

What's the current going rate for 4kW built-in system? Had intended on going the MCS route as we had an interest-free loan secured from a government scheme but I've been timed out it going into 2022/23. 

I’m looking into this too. Been recommended here:

https://www.itstechnologies.shop/collections/12-solar-panel-kits-buy-online

be interested if you find anywhere else better!

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, J1mbo said:

The main issue as we all know is that we buy from the grid at (soon to be) 28p, but sell it back at 5p or so. So maximising the solar used is key to getting best return on it.

For the time being, I can sell solar at 7.5p and buy it back at 5p (Octopus Outgoing vs Octopus Go) so for the big power consumers that I can move to overnight it's really not worth buying battery.

I'll keep with that as long as it lasts, hopefully by the time they discontinue it batteries will have reduced in price a bunch more. 

(Also, there's a lot of base load usage I can't time-shift so a battery maybe justified for them alone at some point)

43 minutes ago, joth said:

Also, there's a lot of base load usage I can't time-shift

I have virtually nill base load.

I an understand a fairly high load if you have a bore hole for water, and a sewage treatment plant.

But not for anything else, unless you run a HP at such a low level it hardly turns off.

I do notice that at my Mother's house, there seems to be a continuous 300W load, and u just can't find out what it is.

CCTV, a few WiFi APs, router, PoE switch and a small NAS - could be 100W. Newish fridge and freezer probably 30-50W each on average (and 250W when defrosting btw). Probably another 20W in standby appliances. Then we have things on charge, smart bulbs, aerial amplifiers, the light in the loft that's been left on for six months, garage door opener, PIR controller lights..., it's surprising what is on and how all those few Watts add up.

43 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

I have virtually nill base load.

I an understand a fairly high load if you have a bore hole for water, and a sewage treatment plant.

But not for anything else, unless you run a HP at such a low level it hardly turns off.

I do notice that at my Mother's house, there seems to be a continuous 300W load, and u just can't find out what it is.

We have 2 people working from home every day, working in tech, so have quite a few PCs and laptops and monitors on most the time, which come to a couple hundred watts. The lower power modes really should be better, and I will get to looking at this again some day (we go through phases of getting it tuned to power down/sleep nicely, then the employers push SW updates and it all goes to shit again).

My main home automation server needed for CCTV and running most of the house is 40W and the fridge/freezer is A+++ so base loads that are "part of the house" are not insane. 

16 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

My numbers, which I think are correct-ish, say that we have a significant chunk of that coming on stream this year anyway.

Hornsea 2 - 1386 MW capacity

Moray East - 950 MW capacity

Triton Knoll - 857 MW capacity

--------------------------------------------------

Availability = say 0.55 = 1756 MW average

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_power_in_the_United_Kingdom

Repaired French interconnector - 1000 MW capacity (500MW Oct, 500 MW Dec)

https://www.energylivenews.com/2021/11/20/national-grid-ifa-interconnector-back-in-full-service-by-december-2022/

So we get 2756 MW extra capacity at least.

That's 66 GWh per day coming on stream / back on stream in the next 10 months.

Plus there is a normal ~15% fall in elec demand in the summer, plus whatever happens to gas.

I would say that will swap out quite a lot of gas power stations, as it operates on a cost hierarchy, and the amount of gas we need will be down quite a way.

Add in that half of people are on fixed tariffs, and I'm not really convinced we are going to have the world-ending meltdown our media have been scaring people with. Though spot-price gas contracts, and perhaps for imported electricity, will mitigate against that. 

F

Looking at the numbers, I reckon my electricity demand is down by about half to 2400 kWh per annum. Solar PV is a big chunk of that fall, but not all as I have done a lot of other things. I generate about 5-6 MWh per annum.

Calling solar responsible for about 1200 kWh of reduction makes it a saving of around £600 at 30p per unit.

I'm delighted that rent-a-roof people are now getting a larger return in the free electricity for selling the soul of their roof to the solar companies.

17 minutes ago, CotswoldDoItUpper said:

Just received this from ITS Technologies… 

Seems good and will have a payback of about 4years?

Quotation(ImPV05717).pdf 305.74 kB · 2 downloads

I would add a freestanding DC isolation switch otherwise you cannot isolate the inverter from the panels.  And upgrade TS4 to optimisers, which should increase yield if any shading or clouds passing over.

48 minutes ago, J1mbo said:

any idea when these 540W panels are likely to be available @Nickfromwales?

No idea whatsoever lol. But.... I will know when next updated by my PV partners / Solarwatt and I will update here as and when ;)  Lower output panel upgrades are from Q2 but not sure when the big boys roll out yet.

Watch this space !

21 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Availability = say 0.55 = 1756 MW average

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_power_in_the_United_Kingdom

You have quoted wind, not solar.

Solar is better than wind at the small scale and for a distributed local network.

Wind relies on a centralised network.

22 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Repaired French interconnector - 1000 MW capacity (500MW Oct, 500 MW Dec)

I don't think that runs permanently, though I suppose it could.

More for balancing.

image.png.a9602c7a9227c74f70499b271f0ec85a.png

59 minutes ago, J1mbo said:

any idea when these 540W panels are likely to be available

Sharp make some.

They are quite large, panel size: 2,279 x 1,134 x 35 mm and may not be able to use a standard domestic roof fitting kits.

210 W.m-2. So no better than top of the performance standard module.

Edited by SteamyTea