Wood burning stove in timber extension

DC5

Hi folks we are fitting a 6.5kw wood burning stove in a pitched roof extension single storey.

BS have come back and said the stove need to come out to 700mm btwall or fit a intumescent covering your the wall.

Has anyone any input on this I’m sure I’ve seen stove less than 700mm from plasterboard!? Is it the heat output that is causing the issue?

any input appreciated!

It depends on the manufacturers instructions of the stove.  Mine is a convection stove and the MI says it only needs 100mm between the back of the stove and flamable material, and only 150mm at the side.

You do not need a constructional hearth if the manufacturer certifies the bottom will not get above 100 degrees, then you only need a 12mm hearth.

I think those BR dimensions are for where the manufacturer makes no declarations.

If the distance from the flue is an issue, you might have to fix a metal plate to the wall spaced 12mm away from the wall as a heat shield.

4 minutes ago, ProDave said:

It depends on the manufacturers instructions of the stove.  Mine is a convection stove and the MI says it only needs 100mm between the back of the stove and flamable material, and only 150mm at the side.

You do not need a constructional hearth if the manufacturer certifies the bottom will not get above 100 degrees, then you only need a 12mm hearth.

I think those BR dimensions are for where the manufacturer makes no declarations.

If the distance from the flue is an issue, you might have to fix a metal plate to the wall spaced 12mm away from the wall as a heat shield.

As Dave says get a convection stove and it resolves this distance issue, use these in my cabins.

Contura has some nice modern convection stoves

Thanks very much folks for all the help. 

Pro Dave I have been reading through your previous stove trials & tribulations in catch up and that’s been a good insight!

This one is definitely on me as we pushed for a traditional looking Aga stove which clearly isn’t as good as some alternatives purely based on its aesthetics and tying them into the old house with new!

Anyho, we have a couple of Morso’s else where in the house and they have so good offerings so will aim to change to one of them.

https://osoliving.com/product/morso-3116-badger/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwvy-rqG56wIVnIBQBh1DvQu2EAQYESABEgLwwfD_BwE