Too late to turn back now....

Reetster

Morning everyone. Great to have signed up at last, I have been following posts and threads as a guest for quite a while and found it very interesting.

We have finally sold our house after Covid delays and just started our barn conversion in Essex.

Its a timber frame 1960's built barn. Big, about 29m x 9m plus a single storey extension of about 11m x 5m. We have dug the floor down about 1m to give the upstairs more head room. Fortunately we have enough land to dispose of the 350 cubic meters of spoil! Foundation wise, rather than the expensive option of raising the barn up on scaffolding whilst we dig the strips around the edge, we are putting a reinforced raft inside. Anticipated it to be about 200mm deep, but structural engineer insisted on 300mm deep slab with 450mm toes and cross sections.

Structure is going to be timber frame with a brick/block plinth and sips panel roof.

Will be looking to ask lots of questions about heating, ASHP's, solar and much more

Cheers

Welcome. Sounds like a good project.

Agree, slab sounds overkill. Ours is 200mm main slab and 300mm at ring beam with single layer of mesh... And that's for a basement supporting another concrete built 1.5 stories above!!! I'd definitely question it as you could make significant cost savings. Is there much steel in it?

What SIP roof are you using? I struggled to find anybody here to take it on so looks like a standard cut roof for us.

Its done now, 2 layers of mesh with a ring beam and cross sections also. At least if I ever want to add a few storeys on top I'll be ok...

Will know more about the roof tomorrow when Im meeting the guy along with my builder. Will probably need to add strength to the existing timbers (currently supporting Big 6 asbestos)

Im hoping to have a raised seam look about it, similar to the Kingspan KS500-100 zip. Perhaps Sips was the wrong term to use, more like metal clad insulated panels.