Important measurments

farm boy

I am just about to order my stairs and one of the measurement’s asked for is the finished floor to finished floor dimension. I first checked out the access threshold on my approved document M access door, working out my finished ground floor level to be 15mm below the threshold. I checked the other two doors and threshold are all within 10mm of each other so thought no problem. Having slept on the matter the next day I thought I had better check the finished ground floor level in relation to the internal door and fireplace lintels. Whoops! no way was I going to achieve my 15mm disabled access threshold as my lintels are about 40mm too low. The highest I can get with the finished floor is about level with the external door reveal, but with some dodgy trimming of the internal doors I might just get some 10-12 mmm flooring onto the external door reveals. So when your brick layer asks you how high do you want the ground floor door lintels? Do not reply with "what do you normally do?" something that is decided quite early in the construction can certainly come home to roost later. Make sure you do a internal levels 1:10 drawing giving fine detail even down to the packers under the external door frame. Despite my best intentions in the design I now will have a small ramp bought of the internet inside my disabled access doorway

Edited by farm boy

Assuming that you cannot lose the 40mm in the door frame, I would cut the bricks and raise the internal lintels. It is not a big job at this point compared to compromising your house. In our house I remember one of the door lintels was put in one course too low by mistake. It was not a big job to cut out above it, move it up and then pack below it.

• 2 months later...

Sorry I thought I had replied to this thread some time ago

I have nowhere to go on this problem.  I am not prepared to move the lintels up as too has much been built above. I do remember my brick layer asking me about the door heights but I did not understand the significance of the measurements at the time so as always the buck stops with me. Fortunately finished internal door heights are not regulated.