Scotframe or Fleming Homes?

S_M

Hi everyone, 

I'm looking for some advice here... I'm new to this and just starting out by looking at different options. Does anyone know what the differences with the full spec options at both Scotframe and Fleming Homes? How do Fleming Homes give you a price for the full build through the cost calculator? What does this include? 

Does anyone have a full cost spreadsheet that they wouldn't mind sharing? I'm hoping to do this on a budget but don't know what to expect and what the "hidden costs" may include? 

Ask them?

You kinda need to do some of the leg work here. I'm sure I've had sample quotes from Scotframe before which had the full spec of what you get, then you can make a spreadsheet and get some other kit companies offerings to compare what is and isn't included - from a little experience I don't think there's much difference in what's included or not, but I have seen a fleming homes kits with loads of wastage on site (not sure if that was a standard kit or a one off)

• Like 1

I used Scotframe and received a full inventory down to every nail supplied. There were no surprises and mine included internal doors, skirting, staircase and suchlike, but clearly there is a ton of stuff you need to provide on top of the offering from the TF company. Scotframe didn’t offer frame erection back then but this may have changed.  

Thank you everyone for your responses so far! ?

@Bozza I am based in Aberdeenshire, quite rural but I would be looking at a serviced plot. 

@Christine Walker Size I am looking at a 3 bed house 110 - 145m2 and not a bungalow but the rest would be dictated by costings I think. 

Thank you @the_r_sole, I have contacted the companies but haven't received a response as of yet so just wanted to see other peoples opinions! 

@newhome That's great to know, thank you. I'm not too concerned about the erection of the TF as I have a few options for this, was just wondering if the spec varied and if they supplied screws too. Do you know if the price for the TF goes up/down when choosing a finishing? (Finishes being the timber clad/bricks/slates etc)

33 minutes ago, S_M said:

Thank you everyone for your responses so far! ?

@Bozza I am based in Aberdeenshire, quite rural but I would be looking at a serviced plot. 

@Christine Walker Size I am looking at a 3 bed house 110 - 145m2 and not a bungalow but the rest would be dictated by costings I think. 

Thank you @the_r_sole, I have contacted the companies but haven't received a response as of yet so just wanted to see other peoples opinions! 

@newhome That's great to know, thank you. I'm not too concerned about the erection of the TF as I have a few options for this, was just wondering if the spec varied and if they supplied screws too. Do you know if the price for the TF goes up/down when choosing a finishing? (Finishes being the timber clad/bricks/slates etc)

I’ve sent you PMs

32 minutes ago, S_M said:

I’m not entirely sure what you mean TBH. We didn’t choose the finishing in conjunction with Scotframe as far as I’m aware. The price did vary depending on some of the internal options we chose such as all oak skirting, upgraded internal doors, all oak staircase. We always planned to use block and render, and stone on the front elevation (none of this supplied by Scotframe) so the quote didn’t vary in this regard. 

I had Scotframe, Flemming  and MBC on my shortlist. The offerings are quite different and you have to do a deal of probing to get to the bottom of it. Its not just the finish its the spec of the insulation, reliability of the company, confidence in the finished cost, inclination to fix any issues that could arise throughout the project etc.  Its a bit of a minefield. I have a spreadsheet which may help if you know what are priorities for you. MBC are one of the few to guarantee the finished cost as per quote. I selected MBC for this reason and also as they provide more of the build, foundation, erection and partnered with a window company at the time (though they no longer do this).  I considered it a reduced the risk for me being a first time self build. Though I was very impressed by Scotframe who were incredibly helpful throughout the evaluation. 

I cant confirm if this is a wise decision as yet as i am waiting for the timber frame to arrive (next Tuesday!!!) Give me a shout if you want me to mail over the spreadie.  

• Like 1

Define your budget and part of this will define your route and kit type. 

If you want a basic timber frame. Forget MBC they just aren't going to be competitive (where you are) its not what they are good at (good at the kit just not the price). Similarly if its basic...forget scotframe, 25% more expensive in my experience, plus you will pay VAT upfront unless you have a main contractor. 

Of all the 15 or so initial quotes I got fleming homes were one of the cheapest and very comprehensive. Stephen Scott (sales guy) super helpful and very transparent and from my background checks good reports all round on kit quality and erection team. 

You need to make a fundamental decision  on if you want a basic frame delivered or a high performing kit like val u therm (scotframe) or possibky SIPS  etc. Think about you want and go from there. 

Whilst easier buying a full kit (doors and all) you will pay a premium for this.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We're in the process of finalising our build and our builder was planning on using Scotframe but has just had to cancel the order because of continued delays. Apparently Saint Gobhain, Scotframe's parent is making some corporate supply chain decisions which means promised dates are being missed. Might be useful info for those planning on using them.

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/08/2020 at 22:22, SuperJohnG said:

Define your budget and part of this will define your route and kit type. 

If you want a basic timber frame. Forget MBC they just aren't going to be competitive (where you are) its not what they are good at (good at the kit just not the price). Similarly if its basic...forget scotframe, 25% more expensive in my experience, plus you will pay VAT upfront unless you have a main contractor. 

Of all the 15 or so initial quotes I got fleming homes were one of the cheapest and very comprehensive. Stephen Scott (sales guy) super helpful and very transparent and from my background checks good reports all round on kit quality and erection team. 

You need to make a fundamental decision  on if you want a basic frame delivered or a high performing kit like val u therm (scotframe) or possibky SIPS  etc. Think about you want and go from there. 

Whilst easier buying a full kit (doors and all) you will pay a premium for this.

Would you mind sharing who you "interviewed"? And what was the scope of prices between the cheapest to the most expensive one? I have a preliminary price from MBC, but waiting to even hear back from most others. So, curious what they are even likely to entertain.

• 1 year later...
On 25/08/2020 at 09:53, kaye said:

I had Scotframe, Flemming  and MBC on my shortlist. The offerings are quite different and you have to do a deal of probing to get to the bottom of it. Its not just the finish its the spec of the insulation, reliability of the company, confidence in the finished cost, inclination to fix any issues that could arise throughout the project etc.  Its a bit of a minefield. I have a spreadsheet which may help if you know what are priorities for you. MBC are one of the few to guarantee the finished cost as per quote. I selected MBC for this reason and also as they provide more of the build, foundation, erection and partnered with a window company at the time (though they no longer do this).  I considered it a reduced the risk for me being a first time self build. Though I was very impressed by Scotframe who were incredibly helpful throughout the evaluation. 

I cant confirm if this is a wise decision as yet as i am waiting for the timber frame to arrive (next Tuesday!!!) Give me a shout if you want me to mail over the spreadie.  

On 25/08/2020 at 09:53, kaye said:

Good Evenin’-Kaye! x I am VERY much a Newbie to the site-you maybe able to tell! ?-but an even Bigger newbie to the self build minefield! Anyways! while having a reccy of the site before joining, your post re. Spreadie was the first I saw!-I have put a shout out for-anyone! to email this self-build Treasure Map and someone said they have kindly posted it to my inbox! Can I find it?!-It’s got to be me! ?-SO, please, could you post me yours!/instructions how to find this coveted gold! Also, at the time of your posting, you were waiting for your timber frame to arrive…?-When you have time, l would love to know your story thus far and, of course, ANY!! knowledge & advice-positives-and negatives!-you care to share!

TIA

Rae

x

I got my quote from Scotframe, it does state fully what's included, you can pick and mix what you want to include, internal doors etc you can choose from a good selection or choose from elsewhere and have that cost deducted.

Any once I picked myself up at seeing the cost, I went with Durisol and did a self managed and mostly self build.

On 24/08/2020 at 14:21, S_M said:

Hi everyone, 

I'm looking for some advice here... I'm new to this and just starting out by looking at different options. Does anyone know what the differences with the full spec options at both Scotframe and Fleming Homes? How do Fleming Homes give you a price for the full build through the cost calculator? What does this include? 

Does anyone have a full cost spreadsheet that they wouldn't mind sharing? I'm hoping to do this on a budget but don't know what to expect and what the "hidden costs" may include? 

Hello S_M

Don't worry about trying to discern between the two offerings at this early stage. Just get as much info as you can. Try and get used to the jargon first, take a qualatative view.

All these companies make it difficult if not impossible for you to make a direct comparison.. don't try and second guess them at this stage. Remember that the online quote systems etc are just a way to get you interested.

By all means look at other things like spread sheets.. but again just learn the jargon.. dip in and out.

Once you get a better feel for the terminology turn back and look at what you want to build. It it something that is say a very standard off the shelf offering.. like buying a TV or do you want tweek the design, have big glazing openings, open plan?  Also, where are you in the country.. top of Scotland or in Kent?, what kind of ground are you building on, how well do you want to insulate the property?

To get the best response from BH you may want to post more info..yes you need to give something to get something back. A lot of folk won't often want to share their spread sheets as they are particular to their own project.. they can be really dangerous to use on you own project which may be a diferent animal.

It's all doable! Just you need to keep doing the work to make the savings.

Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...
On 21/11/2021 at 17:12, Rae said:

Good Evenin’-Kaye! x I am VERY much a Newbie to the site-you maybe able to tell! ?-but an even Bigger newbie to the self build minefield! Anyways! while having a reccy of the site before joining, your post re. Spreadie was the first I saw!-I have put a shout out for-anyone! to email this self-build Treasure Map and someone said they have kindly posted it to my inbox! Can I find it?!-It’s got to be me! ?-SO, please, could you post me yours!/instructions how to find this coveted gold! Also, at the time of your posting, you were waiting for your timber frame to arrive…?-When you have time, l would love to know your story thus far and, of course, ANY!! knowledge & advice-positives-and negatives!-you care to share!

TIA

Rae

x

HI Rae, sorry only just spotted this. Do you still need my spreadie or are you sorted? I have got my frame up now and am living in the house. Happy to share what i know if you want to drop me your email i can send it over. 

• 2 years later...

Hi there, I realise this is an old thread but like many others we are trying to choose between timber frame companies (at a minimum, supply and installation including windows and waterproof roof membrane), and like @kaye we have MBC, Fleming Homes and Scotframe on our list. Also Solo Timber Frame and Timber Frame It. I tried Frame Technologies but was told they couldn't quote, although no reason given. (We're in Hove BTW). Any/all advice gratefully received. We are going through the process of a detailed spreadsheet covering costs, timeframes, what's included, reviews) but I am most keen to know the service others have received – particularly recently – as we'd gladly pay more for this reassurance. Thanks in advance... 

hi flossy, exciting times for you? i havent come across solo or timber frame it so cant comment on them. Flemming,scotframe and MBC i did look at. I can send you my spreadsheet if you drop me your email address. we have been in our house for 2 and a half years now - so its over 3 years since i did the evaluation so bear that in mind. I chose MBC because they covered more of the build, they now seem to be doing windows too - which would be a major headache removed in my view. I think its the most common cause of things not quite working (we have all watched grand deigns havent we?). Drop me you address and i am happy to provide anything i discovered over to you. K 

• Like 1

Hello @Flossy1234  This is a similar tale / approach to our experiences and we ended up going for Fleming Homes -  The tipping point for us was their location to us - 8 miles! - They provided a clear understanding of what they provided and didn't and they kept us well informed in the lead up and then throughour the build.  Tha's not to say the other TF companies wouldn't have done so. I was also prepared to pay "a premium" for peace of mind / reassurance, which we certainly recieved from FH. 

Having gone with them, I am more than happy to recommend and albeit our house was built 5 years ago, you may find my blog useful?

• Like 1