Newbie-Driveway issue

Bee

Hoping for help. Single parent fed up of being duped or relying on my Dad. Recently had a driveway completed by what seemed like a reliable company with good reviews. Unfortunately the job started off well and then was a rush finish to get to another job and the end result worries me for how it will stand the test of time. Even more worrying was they then demanded I pay cash less then 24 hours after it was finished and wouldn't even listen to my questions of why it was not completed properly. I didn't pay cash and made sure there was a trail through my bank. My question is advice on how to proceed. They set the edging stones ready for tarmac. When the base layer of tarmac was laid by another company the edging not up against the house started to move and dip. Tarmac company took pictures and said they would have to come back to do top layer at a later date. Contacted the company with video and had a builder friend confirm they had just laid the edging on a bed of sand and it needed cementing to be able to with stand vehicles. Eventually after chasing they came out to fix. Except instead of cementing the edging in and leveling they just piled a load of cement to haunch it (if I'm saying it right) which I have now been told by several people is not good practice especially as there is no cement under the bricks and in some places is way too much and is a mess. My question is should I have the cement removed and bricks relayed in the hope we don't break any of the bricks and be sure it is done properly. Cut the cement back and continue with landscaping and keep my fingers crossed it lasts. Or any other suggestions. Any help appreciated. 

You are correct. This is how it should be done..

https://www.pavingexpert.com/edging3

What prep did they do before laying the tarmac?

https://www.pavingexpert.com/subbase

https://www.pavingexpert.com/faq_subbase#depth

Typically the ground should be levelled and compacted before >100mm of hard-core is placed and compacted. I'm not sure why a layer of sand was used unless the hardcore was rather coarse? Sometimes block paving is bedded on sand so perhaps they thought that was the right way to do the edging?

Edited by Temp

Thank you for you reply. They dug down with a digger and they did bring hardcore which was rolled by the tarmac company. A young lad was mixing the cement for the edging and while my Dad was here he mentioned to the main man that there was far too much sand and not enough cement but he just got ill sort it but never did. They seem to be on there phones alot being told to hurry up to another job. When he returned he openly admitted that it had not been mixed correctly and would sort it and I told them how I was told it should be done and still didn't finish the job. I complained to the company and got threatened they had done the work and I should just pay up which to be honest shuck me up a bit.  My question is what do I do now? Don't want to start landscaping and leveling up the grass if it needs rectifying. 

3 hours ago, Bee said:

I complained to the company and got threatened they had done the work and I should just pay up which to be honest shook me up a bit.  My question is what do I do now? 

Pay nothing now. Do not allow yourself to be bullied.  Pay what you think it's worth and no more.

First, establish the value of work done to date. To do that;

• Get a quote from a local firm to reinstate the job to a proper standard. 
  • Deduct that amount from your bill, and offer to pay that.
  • But only offer to pay it. 

When thats happened, get back to us.

7 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

Pay nothing now. Do not allow yourself to be bullied.  Pay what you think it's worth and no more.

First, establish the value of work done to date. To do that;

• Get a quote from a local firm to reinstate the job to a proper standard. 
  • Deduct that amount from your bill, and offer to pay that.
  • But only offer to pay it. 

When thats happened, get back to us.

I think she has already paid...see OP

I spoke to citizens advice who said the same so I held back a small amount and they immediately alerted trading standards and the police who have been fab and have given me an emergency contact number as as soon as I paid them some of the money they then threatened to return to take what they were owed. I'm more worried about getting another firm into quote as I'm afraid I will be duped again. What should they do to fix the issue? so I know they are going to do the right thing. Apologies should have stated this on my first post but still a little shaken and lack of sleep worrying they are going to turn up has got to me. Just want to ensure I can get it fixed. Have two firms coming to quote this afternoon. 

Edited by Bee
Missed info

1 minute ago, Bee said:

I spoke to citizens advice who said the same so I held back a small amount and they immediately alerted trading standards and the police who have been fab and have given me an emergency contact number as as soon as I paid them some of the money they then threatened to return to take what they were owed. I'm more worried about getting another firm into quote as I'm afraid I will be duped again. What should they do to fix the issue? so I know they are going to do the right thing. 

Good.

The threat - as described -  is very likely to be criminal behaviour. Log it, tell the police straight away.

At this remove, its hard to say what should happen next. My gut feel is that you should not pay any more money. If they pursue you for any more money (and I bet its a big if ) then follow the guidance above. 

Is the small amount of money witheld worth getting a criminal conviction for?

Trading standards have taken over the communication and they have gone quiet. It wasent a huge amount held back so they think they will disappear just nothing I have ever had to deal with before. I have just had a quote of £500 (2 days work) to remove cement and put in edging stones to support the bricks as they don't want to move bricks in case it damages anything. My Dad seems to think it is excessive as the area is only 7x4. Awaiting on second quote this, afternoon but being a novice not sure if what they are telling me is right. 

I'm sorry that you seem to have got a bad 'un, but I'm pleased that you are getting advice from CAB and TS.

I though TS did not do "consumer" any more, but nice to see that in some places they do.

At the end of it all it may be worth noting down in a diary or somewhere what you can take from the experience in terms of the way to approach it next time, as a reminder and a way of feeding back the experience into learning. You will get better at this over time ?. If you post it on the thread at the end and we can comment.

Don't worry too much - we all make cockups. Was up at a tenant's yesterday where some houses are being built next door, and remembered how I helped the developer get rid of the condition to build an acoustic wall to protect my t's house because the very temporary fence I put up whilst they were building was so good that the Planning Inspector decided an acoustic wall would be of no extra benefit.

(Should have removed the fence when I knew the inspector was visiting).

Edited by Ferdinand

It seems the problems keep on coming. Just had a builder point out that the drive has been done too high and should be 150mm or two bricks below the damp course. Any suggestions on the best course of action now as don't want to proceed with quotes or further work after I have paid them alot of money for the possibility of having to rip the drive back up ?

IMG-20200825-WA0003.jpeg

Option A

Take up the bricks  and dig out the sand. Relay the bricks length ways so you have a gap of 100mm ish to the wall. Fill this gap with clean decorative stone so it acts like a drain. 

Option B

Or paint it with something like Thompson water seal to see if that works. If it doesn't then option A.

Option C 

Nuclear option. All up and redo.

• Like 1

It is about how water splashes up and how it copes with rain running off - If they are only dry laid edgings I would do as @Declan52 said, possibly worth cutting an inch or two off the tarmac so you get a clean line and haunch then backs with concrete to stop the tarmac moving. Then back fill with gravel. 

• Like 1

Thank you it's nice to have someone to sound off and ask questions. Starting to wish I had never started this drive. We have had extreme rain here last two days and not one puddle or water sitting on the tarmac at all seems to be running off on to my grass. I have had it suggested by the builder to put in an aco is this a difficult option? Will do a bit of research on your suggestions. Thank you I really do appreciate your help. 

Aco-drains are only good when they have somewhere to drain to - and you’ll probably find the only place to stick a soakaway is under your new drive ..!

Run off into the lawn isn’t an issue - if it gets boggy you can sort that at a later date. 

• Like 1