Sliding Driveway Gates

Ferdinand

I am beginning to try and think about my south facing front garden as a walled courtyard garden.

To do that I will need a 3.25m (ish) powered gate across my driveway (no separate pedestrian path to the house). The road is a low traffic lots-of-dogwalkers lane.

I have 2 immediate questions.

1 - Is it usual on such a gate to have a paertly open position so people can get in, but vehicles cannot?

2 - What are views about solid gates vs eg wrought iron that keep passersby out but allow a view in (eg for burglar deterrence)?

Any comments or ideas thrown around welcome.

Ferdinand

Completely usual to have a pedestrian access facility whereby it only opens a fraction. From one of the remote fob buttons, a button in the house, on the intercom etc.

(A nice touch I've done is to buy a Ford or whatever pushbutton to go in a dash blank and solder the wires to a gate key fob up inside the dash). 

An alternative is an opening gate within the sliding gate (with the appropriate safety interlocks etc). 

A sliding cantilever gate does away with the need for a gate track. 

The gate control PCB can be mounted down with the motor or in its own remote box on a pillar etc.

Don't underestimate the amount of work involved. Plan the cable runs and get someone to double check them.

Work out your cable runs to lights, sensors etc and don't skimp on the ducting. Think I've 14 cable entries into my box. 

Fit safety edges.

Typical gate manuals attached (mine's a CB22) Look at the CB2 and it shows clear connections for the pedestrian function. 

Think how said gate will affect your post and deliveries. You can build a post box into the gate or pillars, fence adjacent etc.

Yours will be likely finished before mine is btw. ?

cb2.pdf

cb22.pdf

Edited by Onoff
  • Like 2

Personally I prefer the look of a wrought iron type gate. A solid gate may appear less "friendly" or welcoming, however I do see the benefit of preventing nosy parkers from looking in. However a potential burglar will get over either.

I don't think an always partially open gate is sensible, but certainly openable via intercom etc. You could consider a seperate pedestrian gate, but far better to have an intercom to allow deliver drivers entry.

• Like 1

We have a sliding cantilevered gate and a pedestrian gate.

If I did it again I would just have one sliding gate and no pedestrian gate as it is very expensive and the pedestrian gate will probably hardly ever e used.

I notice that most of the gates around here pu tin recently are solid wood infill. I personally feel they are a bit unfriendly so went for a powder coated steel gate that you can see through. Really though it is a matter of personal taste I would say.

I am always worried about scraping the car and we have taken our gate to 3.5m. Our car is very wide, but if you approach the gate at an angle it still feels tight, particularly if someone parks opposite it. I tend to swing over the other side of the road then turn into the gate.

Edited by AliG
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, AliG said:

We have a sliding cantilevered gate and a pedestrian gate.

If I did it again I would just have one sliding gate and no pedestrian gate as it is very expensive and the pedestrian gate will probably hardly ever e used.

I notice that most of the gates around here pu tin recently are solid wood infill. I personally feel they are a bit unfriendly so went for a powder coated steel gate that you can see through. Really though it is a matter of personal taste I would say.

I am always worried about scraping the car and we have taken our gate to 3.5m. Our car is very wide, but if you approach the gate at an angle it still feels tight, particularly if someone parks opposite it. I tend to swing over the other side of the road then turn into the gate.

I'll need to make mine a bit wider to perhaps 3.5m - limited by the amount of straight all I have to slide it behind.

I quite enjoy having the postman coming to the house, and people looking and dropping in. A few on my road have solid gates, and the different times they are left open for is interesting. One up the road which is never open is a recently retired couple, and is never open - and is actually covered in composite cladding rather than wood.

Once they actually connect ours up, my assumption is we will leave it open during the day and close it at night. We get at least one delivery a day and I don't want to have to constantly be opening and closing it, I wouldn't be surprised if some delivery drivers just give up if you don't answer immediately.

I checked, it is 3.5m, 3.4m is as low as I would feel comfortable with, but I am very paranoid about scratching the car. The Tesla that we have is a very wide car. I also wanted people to be able to get vans up to the house if they come with a large delivery etc, you can get a 7.5 tonne lorry through if you have to.

Actually the builders got a cherrypicker stuck in the garden just as they were finishing off the house, they brought an artic up the driveway to tow it out, but they then hit one of the gate posts and dislodged it on the way out. They had only built them the week before. As it needed rebuilt we moved it over another 100mm.

Edited by AliG
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, AliG said:

Once they actually connect ours up, my assumption is we will leave it open during the day and close it at night.

I will go check if it is 3.4 or 3.5m. The Tesla that we have is a very wide car. I also wanted people to be able to get vans up to the house if they come with a large delivery etc, you can get a 7.5 tonne lorry through if you have to.

Yes - my Skoda Superb is an inch wider than a Tesla 3, and it currently has very minor scratches on 3 out of 4 corners.

One reason why I am waging a genocidal war on next door's ivy that came over the wall is because it deceived my parking radar and made me scratch my bumper.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, AliG said:

I'll raise you another 5 inches for a Model X, it and a Range Rover are the widest cars you can buy. A Transit is only a couple of inches wider.

Aha. A Tesla Tonka.

Yes - I'll give you that it is even fatter than mine.

As Clarkson would say - you can very nearly get a whole American in it. ?

Edited by Ferdinand

16 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Yes - my Skoda Superb is an inch wider than a Tesla 3, and it currently has very minor scratches on 3 out of 4 corners.

One reason why I am waging a genocidal war on next door's ivy that came over the wall is because it deceived my parking radar and made me scratch my bumper.

What's the best method for dealing with neighbour's invasive ivy?

I'm particularly pleased with the way my gates coming along. Keeps the super car stable safe at least. SWMBO, pictured, is one reason all my jobs take so long...

4ac82e3fcab211b1ca53cf76aa60a154.jpg.d16118fb6744bd700cc56b75e9190578.jpg

(Mods, any chance of a tongue in cheek emoji? ?)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Have a look at Easygates for ideas. I bought my Chamberlain Liftmaster kit from them.

https://www.easygatesdirect.co.uk/store/index.php

They'll make them too:

https://www.easygates.co.uk/gates-and-railings/

If you plan on doing your own gate then these also are good for an idea on tracks, rolling gear etc. (Local to me too).

https://www.barrier-components.co.uk/?

You can always stop the track where the pedestrian bit is.

I've both made tracks from 20mm galv round bar and bought them pre formed. 

Whatever you do there's lots of H&S stuff to comply with to make them safe.

Skipped through comments so sorry if already been covered. Solid means less safety features as arms can't be guillotined or so I've been told.

I've had prices for sliding gate just over 4m, 1.4m High and range from 2750 to 7k. Galvanised and powder coated incl motor and installation but excludes intercom system (been told to budget 300 extra)

1 hour ago, Oz07 said:

Skipped through comments so sorry if already been covered. Solid means less safety features as arms can't be guillotined or so I've been told.

I've had prices for sliding gate just over 4m, 1.4m High and range from 2750 to 7k. Galvanised and powder coated incl motor and installation but excludes intercom system (been told to budget 300 extra)

A mate is mulling whether to cover his slatted gate with a bfo sheet of clear polycarbonate to reduce the guillotine effect. The trouble is, the surface will, at least on one side, still be "ribbed" and not smooth. That could catch somebody.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Damn you, I'm sussed! ?

Indeed, in Dublin.

At least I didn’t point out that there are 7896 photos of those gates.

And one of those gates and a girl.

Edited by Ferdinand