Plastering Rates

Triassic

May be I’m focusing on the wrong aspect. How much (m2) should a good plasterer be doing in a day?

Has anyone plastered their own home? How difficult can it be?

4day plastering training course for two people £500!

Edited by Triassic

11 minutes ago, Dreadnaught said:

Have you considered spray plastering? I have been offered £220 a day for spray plastering in Cambridgeshire. 

Hmm.. bit of a gimmick tbh as it just gets the plaster on the wall quicker, they still need to know how to flat it and work it up. 

16 minutes ago, Triassic said:

Has anyone plastered their own home? How difficult can it be?

4day plastering training course for two people £500!

Yes I’ve skimmed a few walls in my time, but can’t do ceilings and for what I pay a day (£160) I don’t even bother. You can get the training in a few days, the experience takes years. Add on decent tools and you’re upward of £8-900 and then you start to ask the question how much can you do in a week vs a skilled plasterer ..?

1 hour ago, Triassic said:

He’s quoted plasterer at £26/ hour and £15 for the labourer.

So £200/day for a spreads is not bad, £120 for Labourer is a bit steep - depending on what they are doing I would be looking at £80-100 tops. 

6 hours ago, Triassic said:

I’ve just started getting prices for plastering and they vary A lot.  

What sort of price per square metre have you been quoted?

Most have quoted a day rate, rather a total price for the whole job, it this normal? We

A reasonable plasterer would cover 30 boards per day 80m2

7am to 230pm Three mixes 

A quick one will do 100 

3.25 m2 

The baring rates are just behind the skimmers and a day per house quicker 

Forget plastering courses 

I’ve taken lads on that have done 12 months corses Not always neat enough for sight work and far to slow 

You need to be careful that your not paying day rate for someone doing 40 M2 per day 

You don’t need to pay out for a labour 

We just pre fill all the joints and beads then tip four or five bags into a tub three times a day 

30 minutes of mix 15 washing out 

Stood watching for the rest of the time 

I do have a gang that load PB £1 gf

1.5 1st floor They often out earn them plasterers 

Peters spot on with spraying 

You still need to finish the plaster 

But also not worth the masking up on something like a house 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

A 4 day plastering course for £500 for two people.....will just about give you the confidence to mix the plaster properly. 
Absolute total waste of £500. 
Same as driving lessons, some need less, some need more, and sometimes you still don’t get how they were given a license at the end ‘COS THEY STILL CANT BLOODY WELL DRIVE!!

I’ve had spreads in and on the first set I’ve told them not to come back tomorrow. If it’s not like a sheet of glass, you’re out on your ass. Don’t put up with a crap spread, bin them immediately and go onto the next one. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Mr Punter said:

I don't like it when the surface is too polished.  It doesn't take paint well.

Flat, not shiny. 
I’d have said mirror otherwise ?

Big walls will always have some kind of undulation, but for every 2.5m run @ 2.4m high you should be expecting a very good finish over the given area.

Beware the spreads that don’t lay opposites on and let them go hard before then laying adjoining, eg spreads who put a whole room on ‘wet on wet, and then there is very little they can do to get all the internal angles and lines crisp and straight. Yes, they do make internal corner trowels, I own one, but not many people can use one without doing more harm than good. 
3 sets a day is good going, just depends how old your spread is ?

• Like 1

On 22/08/2020 at 18:25, Nickfromwales said:

Flat, not shiny. 
I’d have said mirror otherwise ?

Big walls will always have some kind of undulation, but for every 2.5m run @ 2.4m high you should be expecting a very good finish over the given area.

Beware the spreads that don’t lay opposites on and let them go hard before then laying adjoining, eg spreads who put a whole room on ‘wet on wet, and then there is very little they can do to get all the internal angles and lines crisp and straight. Yes, they do make internal corner trowels, I own one, but not many people can use one without doing more harm than good. 
3 sets a day is good going, just depends how old your spread is ?

Could not agree more, opposite walls and never wet corners. 

• 7 months later...

gonna bring this back from the dead. Just got some guys that have done some for me previously to price a bigger amount of work- looks like about £10/m2 inc scrim and beads, I'm supplying the skim. Reasonable?

5 hours ago, dpmiller said:

gonna bring this back from the dead. Just got some guys that have done some for me previously to price a bigger amount of work- looks like about £10/m2 inc scrim and beads, I'm supplying the skim. Reasonable?

Hi dpmiller

I'm doing a DIY extension in between the day job. Have done a bit of plastering years ago but I have lots of corners and want to get some detail.

I want to have a play with some shaddow gaps. Also, I have a nice set of Aluminium windows and doors, don't want them scratched so want to do it myself, although it will take me longer. I have got some 2.0mm stop beads for the window ingoes. I think I'll set them back about 3.0 - 4.0mm from the window frame then mastic to try an avoid that hard to paint / wall paper bit between the window frame and the plaster / ames taping that tends to shrink away over time. I'm not sure how this will all pan out but I want to experiment.

Once you get into this type of work then you can't really go on a sq metre price.

I'm aiming to start the plastering next week so will try and post some photos etc. and a time / material log on a DIY basis for comparison.

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

Yeh - it went in the skip

lol what did you find so bad about it? Reading reviews, it seemed there's the learning curve with it, so seeing as I can't plaster great with a trowel, there's a learning curve for me anyway :D 

1 hour ago, Oz07 said:

Re speed skim. Plasterers I know love it for flattening off. @nod?

Exactly what I read