Spacing of movement joints

thurstonftw

Hi guys, 

Newcomer to the forum. Joined to ask this question but have enjoyed browsing and seeing others projects. 

I am self building a brick workshop. I am attempting to build it to current house regs so I have something to follow (have no experience in the trade).

Anyway the size is 9m x 3m, facing brick outer skin and thermalite block inner. One big rectangle with double doors at one end, and a door and a window on one of the long sides. 

I am currently up to dpc with the floor done. So time to start the walls. 

I have had mixed opinions on where to place movement joints. Some people have said to not bother with the external brickwork, and only put them on the long runs of blockwork but I'm not sure this is a good idea.  

If I go of standards the max span is 12m for brickwork, 6m for blockwork, and this distance should continue around returns.

I was thinking of going with 1 expansion joint in the 9m long side panel, and 1 expansion joint in the other long wall (the one with the door and window). 

As for the blockwork I was thinking of doing 3 to preserve the 6m distance. 1 on the rear 3m wall, and 1 on each long wall. 

Does this seem like overkill? Obviously I would like to do as few as possible for ease of construction and cost. 

Also another piece of information I cannot seem to find is how many slip ties to use, every 6 courses brick and 2 courses for blocks? 

urgh its all one big headache. 

If anyone has any experience or opinions I would love to hear them.

Many thanks, 

Normally 8 metres on houses 

But I wouldn’t bother on a workshop 

While I added expansion joints every 8 metres on the house 

I didn’t bother on the two 9 mtre square garages I built 

Both signed off by BC