My slightly unhelpful neighbour

So my neighbours have always had issues every since I put planning in .

I needed to put a new drain in within the vicinity of a shared boundary .

I originally emailed the neighbour with photos from every conceivable angle and that if any damage occurred I would be liable and repair or replace .

Chance of anything happening would be near zero as I dug the drain trench by hand and it was a metre away .

Neighbour kicked up a fuss and sent us down the party wall act . Total cost of that was around 5k !

Anyway today same neighbour came to me and asked if they could build on top the party wall probably about 60cm . You can imagine my response ...

wtf is wrong with people ! . Sure increase the height of the wall via the party wall act .

I knew various neighbors would need my consent for any party walls we share , just had to bide my time .

Today karma kicked in .

Edited by PeterW
Title edit
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

It's amazing the number of people who don't get the concept of not being a dick. 

It's exactly why I went to some length to get a plot that just had farmers fields as neighbors. Having said that I may regret it when I have to dig 100 meters along one of the fields for electricity.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Ralph said:

It's amazing the number of people who don't get the concept of not being a dick. 

Completely agree.

I believe the psychological term is cognitive dissonance - if an individual does something that they know goes against social or moral norms, they will subconsciously create a narrative that justifies it and just keep doubling down on it when challenged.

• Like 1

I am a believer in karma, in that bad things tend to happen to bad people and good things tend to happen to good people. I am fortunate in that I have good neighbours and we help each other and pool resources, it is so much easier than being awkward with each other. We have had a brief experience of an awkward neighbour and it is just so counterproductive.

• Like 2

Just now, Roys said:

I am a believer in karma, in that bad things tend to happen to bad people and good things tend to happen to good people. I am fortunate in that I have good neighbours and we help each other and pool resources, it is so much easier than being awkward with each other. We have had a brief experience of an awkward neighbour and it is just so counterproductive.

Hmm, I know plenty of good people that have had lots of bad things happen to them and vice versa but I get what you're saying, it helps take the pressure off regardless.

Me, I just try and 'shake it off', watching the Taylor Swift video always helps :) and I try to let the miserable people just get on with it.

You're absolutely right that creating a mutually beneficial community is invaluable and increases the stakes of being selfish for an individual.

If it is a party fence wall and will increase overshadowing on you property I would not agree to it.  Do they need planning consent?

How was the drain affected by the Party Wall Act?  Must have been very deep and below their foundation level?

One question probably for  @Mr Punter - does @pocster ultimately have the absolute right to refuse use of the Party Wall - or can his property right be overruled ultimately by the  adjudicating third surveyor if the surveyors appointed by each party disagree?

I might be inclined to insist on a party wall surveyor and (if possible) enough payment to defray the previous cost.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

The Party Wall Act gives rights to owners to undertake works, so there is no right for the adjoining owner to refuse but their position should be protected by the Award.

If you want to increase costs for the Building Owner desiring works, appoint your own surveyor (after you have been served appropriate notices) as the general rule is the Building Owner will pay both / all surveyors.

Just wind them up with some story about wanting to keep the wall low as you need a line of site for a massive amateur radio installation, a view for the occupants of the tents youre erecting to house asylum seekers, and to disperse the noise from your garden of a bagpipe playing Scottish relative who is coming to stay with you.  Also it will oppress the rights and discriminate against the local nudist societies over 80s group who will be holding their meetings in your garden.

• Haha 3

I’ve a friend who has an Allotment in a semi rural village 

The Allotment has been in his family for around 70 years 

A row of new houses have been built nearby and one of the incomers has complained that my mate cockerels keep crowing 

and guess what 

Same bloody time each morning ?

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, pocster said:

I told him to go (expletive deleted) himself and that he was a prick 

A perfect message to clear the air for a harmonious and peaceful coexistence.  Well done.  Did he stay for drinkies?

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Mr Punter said:

A perfect message to clear the air for a harmonious and peaceful coexistence.  Well done.  Did he stay for drinkies?

Strangely enough he just turned his back on me and walked away .

I’ve been too nice and complacent with people ( inc tenants ) eventually it always becomes give an inch take a mile .

Took photos of the shared boundary wall . If *anything* appears on or near it I’ll jump on that and start litigation . Regardless of the costs - as I’ve learn’t ; to punish is worth any price . (expletive deleted) ‘em ! 

• Like 1

He will need to serve notice on you.  If you do not accept, the issue is considered in dispute and you can then appoint a surveyor at his expense.  If he starts work without serving a notice or having an Award in place you can get an injunction from the High Court.  It will cost you initially but you can reclaim the costs plus damages as Judges do not look kindly on people going behind the Act.

• Like 2