Loft conversion + new build synergy

At the design stage of new build. Currently everything we want can fit on the 400 SQM of ground and first floor space... But... Just curious...

I figure developing a loft space during a new build process is significantly cheaper than a later conversion. So, would I be foolish not to put proper stairs/dormer windows up there now and just leave it empty?

From a build/construction point of view, it makes absolute perfect sense to allow for the new loft space now as opposed to later and via attic trusses as already mentioned.

Be weary of the Planning side of things when considering a 2-storey vs 3-storey property. Depending on the area and the LPA, would they have reservations about building out a 3-storey property as opposed to a 2-storey and then the loft element via PD? Some LPA’s may even look to withdraw certain PD rights if they feel the maximum areas have already been provided meaning they can control any further development which would have normally been allowed via Class B.

• Thanks 1

Thank you all. I really can't envisage a scenario where we would use this space but with all things like this if the cost now is a fraction of the cost later then there is merit to catering for it like with the attic trusses you mention.

Re the planning permission, I'm hoping this is something to thrash out in an informal chat with the planning dept to get a sense of whether this kind of development would be a red flag for them 

I am a bit late to this thread but when I designed our house I used I beam rafters to give me depth for insulation (warm roof) which meant no trusses or internal beams, I have a large loft which contains the MVHR, it’s boarded out, foldaway loft ladder and so I have ample  space for all that crap like Christmas decorations, suitcases and wife’s out of season clothes. I would not be without it as a usable storage place.

Edited by joe90
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, joe90 said:

I am a bit late to this thread but when I designed our house I used I beam rafters to give me depth for insulation (warm roof) which meant no trusses or internal beams, I have a large loft which contains the MVHR, it’s boarded out, foldaway loft ladder and so I have ample  space for all that crap like Christmas decorations, suitcases and wife’s out of season clothes. I would not be without it as a usable storage place.

Every house definitely needs the out of the way storage for "all that crap" we accumulate in life ???