Foundations quote

oldkettle

I priced up building a double garage and reckoned it would be in the low 20s, this is a 50% larger building with insulation, but you are getting to close to the same price just for the slab.

I put up a thread asking about garage build. The house will be timber frame with render board on the outside. The architect mentioned maybe we do this for the garage, but when you price it up, a cavity block wall is really cheap to build which is what people suggested to me.

If you don't expect this room to get that much use, I would be looking at building a basic insulated building, basically a garage with Rockwool in the cavity and standard strip foundations unless there is a reason for a raft. Not sure what the cheapest floor build up would be but a raft seems like an expensive way to do it, maybe you just need an old school suspended timber floor with insulation. It is a single storey building so shouldn't need major foundations.

I wouldn't be recommending this at all for a house, but for a building with infrequent use the extra cost would never be recouped in running costs. Maybe you plan to use it all the time, but I would question how much use a building 50m away will get when it is cold.

As suggested a timber garden office type of building is another option, but unless you can build it yourself, a block built building will probably be a similar price and more durable.

Edited by AliG
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AliG said:

If you don't expect this room to get that much use, I would be looking at building a basic insulated building, basically a garage with Rockwool in the cavity and standard strip foundations unless there is a reason for a raft. Not sure what the cheapest floor build up would be but a raft seems like an expensive way to do it, maybe you just need an old school suspended timber floor with insulation. It is a single storey building so shouldn't need major foundations.

Thank you, @AliG 

The problem with strip foundation is that it would have to be really deep and potentially require a SE design due to proximity to the row of conifers. Alternatively we'd have to step away from the border even more which is not impossible but would have been disappointing. 

Basically, we are trying to decide where to live during the build. A container or a caravan are not good enough for my wife and would be a pain to get into the back garden anyway. Renting would easily gobble up 20K in 12 months. A gym sounded like a good idea, especially since in the last 16 years I've spent close to 10K on those. Another option is half and half, much smaller gym (to avoid BC) which we could use during the day as home office/lounge and a caravan in the front garden for the night and meals. Basically, I'd rather spend 25K on a basic build than 20K on the rent. 

Actually, had a reply from a planner regarding temporary accommodation permission. Completely gobsmacked as what he describes sounds like a full planning application where as I would only need lawful development certificate in the worst case scenario as can build under PD. 

>> As you acknowledged in your email, a temporary planning permission would be required. Whether this would be granted would likely depend on the scale, design and siting of the outbuilding envisaged. The application would take the usual statutory period of 8 weeks to be determined.

So as you can see, nowhere close to finding a solution at the moment. Will keep thinking. Have no interest in another planning battle. 

Edited by oldkettle