Batten sizing for GSE PV mounting trays

dnb

I am curious as to what size battening people have used for their GSE in roof PV installations.

I think mine needs to be 100x25 according to the GSE manual. But there is no further guidance on strength etc.

25x50 but doubled up where necessary.

I found the GSE instructions unnecessarily complicated with regard to batten spacing. If I remember correctly, the only figure you really need is the 'additional line' which differs depending on which size panels you have. Lay down extra battens if the mount fixings are unlucky enough to miss a batten. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, willbish said:

I found the GSE instructions unnecessarily complicated with regard to batten spacing.

I thought it was me being thick!

3 hours ago, ToughButterCup said:

The blue ones, not the knotty sort

Good job I know where there is a big pile of those!

2 hours ago, dpmiller said:

4x1 treated.

I assume that is in inches (unless it's a model house ? ) So 100x25mm - same as the GSE spec demands. Did you use any particular graded timber?

5 hours ago, NSS said:

but doubled up

Was hoping someone would say that!

Thanks all. Looks like I can carry on with using my blue slate battens. Most of the time they are in more or less the right places.

6 hours ago, dnb said:

I assume that is in inches (unless it's a model house ? ) So 100x25mm - same as the GSE spec demands. Did you use any particular graded timber?

Nope,  just the rough-sawn tanalised stuff from the local yard. While I *did* follow GSE's spec, it worth pointing out that a. the thickness needs to match your tiling battens and b. the wider the plank the easier it is to aim for...