Newbie to the forum

derek

Hi everyone, thanks for accepting me into the forum.  I am an ex-Sapper, Chartered Builder, and building control surveyor.   Now "retired" living in an old farmhouse with three holiday cottages and a redundant cow shed being converted into a three bed bungalow for my daughter and her husband

I thought sappers blew things up...if I’m correct Joe Bones AKA The Human Fly was the sapper of fame from the Victor.

Anyway, welcome @derek I’m sure you will have plenty to contribute unlike me with random reminiscences of childhood comics, BTW Joe Bones and Alf Tupper must have been twins (or had the same cartoonist)

Edited by Tennentslager

15 hours ago, ToughButterCup said:

You are most welcome. 

My dad was a sapper (WO1, 1950s) , so I'm almost duty bound to ask you , when are you going to be installing the Bailey Bridge? 

Although I did build one or two Baileys early in my career I left the combat engineer path and went technical so no kit bridges for me

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, Tennentslager said:

I thought sappers blew things up...if I’m correct Joe Bones AKA The Human Fly was the sapper of fame from the Victor.

Anyway, welcome @derek I’m sure you will have plenty to contribute unlike me with random reminiscences of childhood comics, BTW Joe Bones and Alf Tupper must have been twins (or had the same cartoonist)

Thanks for the welcome.  Yes its amazing what a few ounces of plastic explosive can do but its been 40 years since I got to play with any, sorry but don't remember ever reading the Victor but we did have plenty of odd characters in the Corps who would fit straight into a comic