Service void for waste pipes

MJNewton

We're due to take delivery of a kitchen from DIY Kitchens in a few weeks and am making the final preparations for installation. I need to run a 40mm waste pipe horizontally for around 1m from the sink and dishwasher to a soil stack boss (accessed through the wall) that sits around 300mm up from the floor hence it'll be running behind (not under) the units.

I note that the service void on DIY Kitchens units are 42mm which sounds a bit on the small side to me, and would presumably mean I won't be able to use conventional pipe supports on the wall given their thickness and the fact that they hold them slightly off the surface. 

I'm sure once the units are here and offered up I'll sort something out - necessity being the mother of all invention and all that - but wondered if anyone had come across this situation before and can share how they dealt with it? I'd prefer not to bring the units forward, even slightly as the worktop is already ordered and I haven't thought through what other knock-on consequences there might be. 

Edited by MJNewton

That could work... It's 12.5mm plasterboard (plus skim) dot-and-dabbed on a block wall so there's probably another 15mm gap or so behind to help even further. If luck is on my side (yeah right) I could possibly fix a piece of ply to the blocks on which to easily mount the pipe and related items. I don't know what the blocks are but they're a nightmare to drill (they seem to have black aggregate in them which could well be diamonds given how hard they are!). 

Edited by MJNewton

As Peter said above is the way to go. If the pipes are not going to be accessable again once the units are fitted, make sure you seal up all around them, with silicon or whatever. My daughter had a nightmare with ants, and when i ripped half the place apart, a missing bit of plasterboard was the little blighters access point.

• Thanks 1

With your proposed approach I think I'll be able to run the pipe behind the cabinet so there won't be anything visible within... have I misunderstood the use of the covers in this case? (Was it that they can be used inside cupboards should the need arise?) 

Edited by MJNewton

Looking good! You've also made me realise that a recessed waste pipe also enables greater freedom of how/where to route the supply pipework. 

Edit: Looking closer I see that the waste pipe is in front of the water pipes - I was assuming it was sitting behind.. 

Edited by MJNewton

10 minutes ago, MJNewton said:

Looking good! You've also made me realise that a recessed waste pipe also enables greater freedom of how/where to route the supply pipework. 

Edit: Looking closer I see that the waste pipe is in front of the water pipes - I was assuming it was sitting behind.. 

I’ve hidden a waste pipe in a wall - 50mm insulation on an external wall was chased to accept a 40mm waste and then just wedged and foamed. Then boarded over and you wouldn’t know it was there (until the sink runs though it..!!)

18 hours ago, MJNewton said:

yep, waste pipe is in front of the hot & cold supply.  You need to take the PB layer off and maybe a bit of the insulation.    I tidied it all up before the unit went in (more insulation etc) but it gives you an idea.

The bottom pipe feeds an external tap - I wanted to be able to drain it from inside the house hence the drain plug.

• Like 1