Hi to everyone, but especially to the dirty sewage lovers :)

Oxbow16

Hi all

I hope I'm ok to join this forum...  I'm certainly no self builder!  But we moved into our new house a year and a half ago; it needs a fair bit of work and where possible I would like to get stuck in.  To be honest, a lot of it will be beyond my skill set.  And where I do think things are within what I can manage, my partner will often inject her high levels of common sense and bring me back to reality :)  All that being said, I like to be involved in things even if it's at the research stage and deciding the best course of action.  

It was actually sewage treatment plants and the like that brought me here.  That's the current pressing need, and whilst looking into what's our best option this site kept coming up.  So I've now read more or less every sewage treatment plant thread on here and I'm starting to feel like I know the regular contributors in that sub-forum personally!  

No doubt as the house renovation continues I'll start to dip into the other areas.

We're in the Brecon Beacons... The house is slightly unusual in as much as the original part - we think - is mid eighteenth century.  There were then considerable extensions made in the 1970s, and again around 2001.  So quite a hotch potch!  I'm looking forward to seeing whether there are dedicated sub-forums to renovating old houses as that's where a lot of the advice I'll be needing falls.  There are several instances of new(er) building techniques being used where perhaps they shouldn't have been...  Concrete render on old solid walls, concrete slab and DPC  on an old cowshed floor, that kind of thing. 

Anyhow, that's all for another week, month, year...  For now it's back to the sewers... 

Many thanks, over and out    

• Like 1

Welcome to the Forum for self builders, renovators and like minded individuals. Sewage treatment is well covered here but we do not have a separate section for old house renovation, perhaps we should? In the meantime you can tag things as you post them so people can find them. With over 5000 members there must be loads out their with similar interests.  

Thanks Mike :)  

I'm not sure whether a separate sub-forum would be a good idea or not tbh.  I'm too unfamiliar with the site/forums to say.  I guess on the one hand, old or new, houses still have the same components to them...  But there are all those specific old house topics, usually one way or another centring around breathability!  

I like to keep all saved articles on my PC into well organised folders, and often I'm faced with the same dilemma there.  Lime floors for example - does that go in with all the other floor gumpf I'm reading and saving, or into an "old house renovation" folder.  

But hey, perhaps I'm too new here to be exposing the full extent of my anality!   

5 minutes ago, pocster said:

Hey @Onoff what you think @PeterW is trying say about us ?

First thought was it about doing things above our skill set but I'm pretty sure it's that we're a pair of procrastinators...

?

As for renovating an old house @Oxbow16, don't bother. It's a cold, damp, money pit of despair. Knock down and rebuild to passive spec is the way to go. With hindsight etc.

Not trying to put you off!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Onoff said:

First thought was it about doing things above our skill set but I'm pretty sure it's that we're a pair of procrastinators...

?

As for renovating an old house @Oxbow16, don't bother. It's a cold, damp, money pit of despair. Knock down and rebuild to passive spec is the way to go. With hindsight etc.

I thought it was a dig because you haven’t finished your bathroom . As for me a thousand thoughts produce one action is simply called “planning” ?

But agree , knock down old house , build new 

6 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Hmmm

What I have found interesting in this recent humid weather....  At one end of the house is the (poorly) converted cowshed barn, which is reading 68% on the hygrometer.  Up the other end of the house in the dining room - built in 2001 - I'm getting a reading of 85%!

Edited by Oxbow16
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Oxbow16 said:

Hmmm

What I have found interesting in this recent humid weather....  At one end of the house is the (poorly) converted cowshed barn, which is reading 68% on the hygrometer.  Up the other end of the house in the dining room - built in 2001 - I'm getting a reading of 85%!

I've only renovated one room here and it was a ballache tbh. I thought I was being clever stripping it back to bare walls (out of square and level in every plane), the ceiling joists sloped so they came out and were replaced and the floor dug up and rebuild. Tbh the bathroom is great and ticks the boxes for somewhere "nice" to go and relax/get clean from working elsewhere in the house. 

I'm mulling EWI for the whole house but the external walls vary in construction, footings are of different construction depending on when that bit of the house was built. 

Knowing what I know now I'd have gone for knock down rebuild. 

You'll struggle with insulating and detailing making an existing build airtight etc. With an insulated and airtight build plus MVHR you can control the humidity. 

Edited by Onoff
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Oxbow16 said:

68% on the hygrometer.  Up the other end of the house in the dining room - built in 2001 - I'm getting a reading of 85%!

I get the same thing, in my converted “work room” In my damp shed (a Well insulated box within  the shed) I get low 60% but in The main old house next door it will be mid 80% 

@OnoffThat's interesting to hear, and I've got a lot to learn on the renovating front.  Our budget is nowhere near a knock down and start again level though.  Not even close.  And on top of that, the history and character of the house is one of the things that drew us to it.  Luckily I don't think there is anything hugely remedial that needs doing.  Not that the surveyor found at any rate.  Plus, only half of the house is old old, and the bigger part of that is the 10m x 4.5m cowshed.  The rest of the house is the 1970s and 2001 extensions I mentioned....

2 minutes ago, Cpd said:

I get the same thing, in my converted “work room” In my damp shed (a Well insulated box within  the shed) I get low 60% but in The main old house next door it will be mid 80% 

It's strange.  I'm hoping one day I'll get to the bottom of why this is the case...

15 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I've only renovated one room here and it was a ballache tbh. I thought I was being clever stripping it back to bare walls (out of square and level in every plane), the ceiling joists sloped so they came out and were replaced and the floor dug up and rebuild. Tbh the bathroom is great and ticks the boxes for somewhere "nice" to go and relax/get clean from working elsewhere in the house. 

I'm mulling EWI for the whole house but the external walls vary in construction, footings are of different construction depending on when that bit of the house was built. 

Knowing what I know now I'd have gone for knock down rebuild. 

You'll struggle with insulating and detailing making an existing build airtight etc. With an insulated and airtight build plus MVHR you can control the humidity. 

Go on - knock the lot down . Love to see that 10000000000 page thread on the build .

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Oxbow16 said:

@OnoffThat's interesting to hear, and I've got a lot to learn on the renovating front.  Our budget is nowhere near a knock down and start again level though.  Not even close.  And on top of that, the history and character of the house is one of the things that drew us to it.  Luckily I don't think there is anything hugely remedial that needs doing.  Not that the surveyor found at any rate.  Plus, only half of the house is old old, and the bigger part of that is the 10m x 4.5m cowshed.  The rest of the house is the 1970s and 2001 extensions I mentioned....

I understand the budget thing. If you haven't a lump sum, high disposable income or legacy then I guess you can only chip away at it. With hindsight I'd have saved and sorted the roof first. At least everything you do thereafter is undercover. Then the exterior; ewi & windows. Tbh I could live with stripped internal walls but SWMBO will insist on buying paint and wallpaper as she's "fed up with the (perfectly serviceable) woodchip". Wouldn't even consider using a stack of carpet tiles I got free because the colour was wrong! As a couple you both need the same vision or it won't work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Oxbow16 said:

Hmmm

Two items there .. damp / waterproofing and ventilation.

i would be having coughing fits with either of those levels.

Short term inexpensive likely fix on that is to put in a PIV loft fan, probably from Nuaire, which will cost about £300 plus installation and should give you a step change in comfort. It will cover a multitude of sins whilst you work out the rest.

https://xpress.nuaire.co.uk

The sort of things they achieve is instant solution of condensation on singe glazed houses.

If your house is in a swamp with external humidity the same as internal it may not help but often the impact can be nearly miraculous.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

2 minutes ago, pocster said:

Can you come and talk to my SWMBO ? ?

??? You're assuming my SWMBO and I have the same ideas. We don't!

She's "just do it for now". Comes from a long line of bodgers. Her old man made a "shed" by covering an old greenhouse frame in MDF. Yes, MDF. What a waste of time and effort. MDF for the floor too. The whole thing has now collapsed into a sodden mess. 

I have to think, plan, draw, procrastinate.

Now I have a vision for certain things (mainly down to this site) anything I suggest is met with "You'll take so long!" Well if i don't f***ing start luv it'll never happen!

Plus we don't budget. Just lurch from one bit to another. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

isn't it more about clear decision making and compliance.

Cynthia Whiplash and her current toyboy would be fine. ?

Erm 

what does “ clear decision making “ mean ?

also what’s that strange word “ compliance “ mean ?

• Like 1

Just now, Onoff said:

??? You're assuming my SWMBO and I have the same ideas. We don't!

She's "just do it for now". Comes from a long line of bodgers. Her old man made a "shed" by covering an old greenhouse frame in MDF. Yes, MDF. What a waste of time and effort. MDF for the floor too. The whole thing has now collapsed into a sodden mess. 

I have to think, plan, draw, procrastinate.

Now I have a vision for certain things (mainly down to this site) anything I suggest is met with "You'll take so long!" Well if i don't f***ing start luv it'll never happen!

Plus we don't budget. Just lurch from one bit to another. 

OMG you are following my approach .

No budget .

It will take a long time so start now 

I do think occasionally 

I do draw plans occasionally 

I do procrastinate profusely.

” If a million thoughts generate one action , then my day has been well wasted/spent “ 

1 hour ago, Oxbow16 said:

Hmmm

What are the walls mode of in the cowshed? and the extension?

3 minutes ago, Reiver said:

What are the walls mode of in the cowshed? and the extension?

The cowshed has solid walls (stone).  550-600mm thick.  

The dining room extension is cavity walls block inside and stone outside.  There's also a large picture window (around 2m square) and sliding patio doors.  Plus it's open plan to the 1970s kitchen, which is cavity wall, possibly brick and block but not certain (rendered externally).