Brew shed waste

oddjob

Hi all

I'll be digging a trench to the shed to get electricity out there and thought if I add a water drain while I'm at it I would be able to use the shed for my home-brewing.

I checked with the sparks and he had no issue with the water and electricity sharing trench ,as long as they are in separate pipes all is good according to him.

I've 20m to dig so I'm happy I don't have to do two trenches.

My question is about the waste pipe, do I need a 110mm waste pipe for what is essentially just going to be used for water and grain bits or can I get away with a normal 32 mm white pipe?

I know the pipe is able for it, I just don't know if it's ok to use it underground

I was going to connect it to the existing waste pipe that is on the house, I've a manhole just outside the backdoor that o was hoping to get the pipe to

Can you get a fall with 110mm? If so it's a no-brainer to install 110mm. 50mm will need supporting right along its length to stop dead spots where crud will accumulate ( especially with what you'll be sending down it ) so over 20m I'd not risk it unless you lay the 50mm on pads of 6:1 sand and cement every 300-400mm and then backfill around it and over it with dust / fines with at least 200mm of coverage as the pipe is brittle compared to UG soil pipe. 

If no fall, drop 25mm MDPE in and pump it away with a saniflo / similar waste water pump.

110 will be easier to install (more rigid, easier to set levels) and with brewing waste it's inevitable that you'll get a build up of sugary waste that will quickly block a 32 or 40mm pipe.

(Proud builder and previous owner of a brewshed)

• Like 1

thanks for the input lads, I hear ya loud and clear, 110mm pipe it is so. 
back when i was on the sites some 20 years back an inch fall per yard was recommended, does that still hold true or is there an new take on whats needed?

• 3 weeks later...

I Have just done something similar and put A small inspection chamber in one pipe run and a Potential rodding point in another, I am far from an expert but liked the idea that should something go wrong I had the ability to see it and be able to sort it out without having to dig it up. I assume you can rod from the brew shed if required. 

17 hours ago, Onoff said:

A "friend of mine" just 10 minutes ago hit his knee with a mattock blade whilst digging a trench. Apparently it's quite painful...

?

Lucky for me I've only got a pick as I'd prob be a foot shorter by now if I had a sharp matlock. A pick to the shin is painful enough

17 hours ago, Onoff said:

Tell us more about the brews you make!

nothing of late, been to busy digging and and carrying stones about the place.
started out to try to save money on beer, a few hundred pounds later and I still have not been able to make a decent lager