Tree survey

PXR5

Can anyone write one up?  ( ie, me) this is for a new self build house on a small plot which has one large tree  & another in next doors garden. I need to keep costs down so doing as much as I can. Ive looked for examples but yet to find anything.

If thats not possible can any one recomend some one? Im in north Oxfordshire,  thanks

You could, but how are you going to know what to say. 

You cannot just cut and paste somebody else’s, it will be relevant to your tree. 

Do you want to keep it or remove it ??

oxford area. BOWARD TREE SURGERY. 

I used to to write a fair few up so decided I could do our ecology method statement, council rejected it, even though I thought it was better than the one we eventually paid £1200 for. 

A single tree on one plot should cost you £3-400 for just a condition report. 

You can certainly calculate the tree roots protection areas yourself.  Are they likely to to be breached during your build eg foundations, driveway plant access, trenching, material storage, etc.  Or are they at the bottom of the garden totally out of the way of the build.  I have 20+ trees on my plot and have gained a decent knowledge of trees/planning.

The two trees are both to remain, mine is about 8m away from the proposed house, the neighbours is about 5m away. I was hopeing  to see how its done & apply the theory to my own situation, its not rocket science is it?

What have the council asked for?

I just included the size and type of each tree on the planning drawings and showed the ones that are to be removed.  No other questions.

It seems some councils like to bury the issue under a mountain of expensive paperwork that has no practical purpose other than antagonising the builder, causing delays, and making them poorer.

Once you’ve calculated your TRPs you’ll know how close the roots come to your proposed build.  If they are big trees, 5m in particular, is quite close. Don’t forget the edge of your house Is not where construction starts as they’ll have to dig wider.   you have to allow for diggers plant etc too.  

Whilst you could submit a site plan showing the trees, TRPs & mitigation measures yourself, neither you nor the planners are qualified to say whether your measures are sufficient.  That’s  why they pass that buck to pros eg a tree surveyor.  As your closest tree is your neighbours tree I’m fairly sure the planners will likely require a proper tree report.  So if something goes wrong and you kill your neighbours tree they can pass the buck to a degree.

I can send you my tree reports if that helps you, actually just google Aberdeenshire Council planning and search Ref 

APP/2019/0862 it’s  all there.

Edited by Bozza

What have you actually been asked to provide as a tree ‘survey’ is one thing but a tree ‘report’ is another? There are also Arboricultural Impact Assessments and Arboricultural Method Statements and all of which are dependent on how the proposals may affect the trees.

I was involved in a job in Oxford and the contractor there also recommended Boward. I reviewed his information, requested a few changes and the LPA were satisfied and approval was given.

Your SE will do this I don’t think he charged us anything extra 

If you google tree reports it will show depth of routes in relation to type and height 

Your structural engineers report will read like something he has just printed off But will have your name and plot address 

You will need to check your LPA’s validation requirements as to what would need to be submitted to accompany and validate your application. If the information is not submitted upon submission, the LPA will request those prior to the application being validated and then determined.