Tiling corners

Pocster

Well, I'm nearing the point of tiling the walls.

Will use a laser to get my first whole course level i.e. so there's around half a tile height to the floor which goes in last.

But when you get to a corner in a bathroom i.e. wet area do you...

1) Leave a 'gap' and fill with grout? (pic 1)

2) Leave a 'gap' and fill with sealant? (pic 1)

3) One tile butt's against the wall and the gap filled with grout? (pic 2)

4) One tile butt's against the wall and the gap filled with sealant? (pic 2)

5) None of the above 

IMG_1934.jpg

If doing mine again, looking at 2) I'd butt the tile going up the page against the tile going across with a credit card thick gap then clear CT1. Did this where my wall tiles meet the floor. 

You as I understand never want to look at such a corner joint head on.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mr Punter said:

No, silicone.  CT1 does not finish well and discolours.

Ok . So an ‘edge’ of ct1 for pic 2 where the horizontal tile hits the wall . This won’t be visible once the vertical tile is installed . Silicone then on that vertical line .

yeah ? ?

1 hour ago, pocster said:

Well, I'm nearing the point of tiling the walls.

Will use a laser to get my first whole course level i.e. so there's around half a tile height to the floor which goes in last.

But when you get to a corner in a bathroom i.e. wet area do you...

1) Leave a 'gap' and fill with grout? (pic 1)

2) Leave a 'gap' and fill with sealant? (pic 1)

3) One tile butt's against the wall and the gap filled with grout? (pic 2)

4) One tile butt's against the wall and the gap filled with sealant? (pic 2)

5) None of the above 

IMG_1934.jpg

You need to leave a 4 gap clear Of grout in the shower area Then  silicon afterwards 
Some of the builders want these grouted in But I always tell the tilers to leave them clear 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

I like to use CT1 for the joins in the substrate boards - Hardie Backer or whatever.  Not as good as proper tanking but for a shower it seems fine.  Then just tile, grout and then go over the internals with silicone.

My waterproof system requires using delta seal between all the board joints . Then a water proof paste over joints , tanking strip membrane over that .Then paste again with pre made corner pieces and more tanking strip .  Hard to see any leaks getting through that - if installed properly of course ???

• Like 1

7 hours ago, pocster said:

My waterproof system requires using delta seal between all the board joints . Then a water proof paste over joints , tanking strip membrane over that .Then paste again with pre made corner pieces and more tanking strip .  Hard to see any leaks getting through that - if installed properly of course ???

Link available to this system?

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, bassanclan said:

You can use CT1 instead of silicone. It is very tricky and takes a lot of time to make it look good, but it will stand the test of time, but white discolours and I've had similar with clear before.

My plan was ct1 clear in the ‘gap’ then coloured silicone over it 

Do NOT attempt to use CT1 as a finish product. Use silicone. 
Grout the 3mm gaps and sponge them back so they’re just a little concave. Then silicone. CT1 should only ever be on show when it’s the clear one and around a shower glass, or at the wall / floor junction over a grout. Silicone everywhere else. Mapei do a great range of colours, and NoNonsense from screwies is ok too. 
Grout in the corners first, now I’m off back upstairs. Keep the noise down. 

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Grout the 3mm gaps and sponge them back so they’re just a little concave. Then silicone. CT1 should only ever be on show when it’s the clear one and around a shower glass, or at the wall / floor junction over a grout. Silicone everywhere else. Mapei do a great range of colours, and NoNonsense from screwies is ok too. 

Had no intention of using ct1 as final finish as I’ve said many times ?

Surely I should clear ct1 that vertical line ( like on the opposing wall ) but concave; then do silicone ontop . Is that not better ? . Ct1 as real waterproofing . Silicone as nice visual colour 1st defence to water .

Grout in corner allows for no flexibility.

Surely you’ve finished grouting mummies bedroom by now ? ?

Edited by pocster

29 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

What's wrong with using no grout and just silicone in tile joints?