Hello from London, excited to start this journey!

lebuild

Hi everyone,

Very happy to join this community. I own a flat in East London, which I want to sell to move to the country-ish. I'm looking to self build but have no experience in it whatsoever. I'm currently researching how to acquire a plot and the legalities around it, no idea whether my expectations are realistic at this stage. I've registered to PlotBrowser and other such databases and also enquiring with some estate agencies. 

I want to build a small-ish house and I'm very much interested in ready made houses (such as the Manta North ones) or house kits (such as the HebHomes). Has anyone got any experience with these? If I understand correctly with the Manta North houses, I would "only" need to get services connected and the foundation and slab done. Are foundations for small houses like this expensive to do?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'm looking forward to interacting with you all.

All the best,

Sandra

Welcome.

Hold on to your current enthusiasm.

When we started a few years ago; full of vim and vigour. Currently (2nd, 3rd fit) most of that has gone: now its head-down-arse-up determination that keeps us going. That and the determination to spit in the eye of those who don't deliver what they say they will.

And there are loads of those, altogether too close to home: online and off it.

hello there! 

Get your plot first then worry about what's going to fit on it!

Haven't seen those manta north ones before but I don't think I've seen many of the pre-fab units like that be particularly cost effective - heb homes are particularly "scottish" in style but I guess anything can be done... They use SiPs kits for their kits and there are lots of other technologies around too... this is a good place to get the information you need for your research phase!

3 hours ago, lebuild said:

[...]

I want to build a small-ish house and I'm very much interested in ready made houses (such as the Manta North ones) or house kits (such as the HebHomes).

[...]

Find a kit house (of any sort) and see if you can arrange a stay / short break in one?