Hi, we're new to self build, Glenarm, Northern Ireland

Kerry Rhodes

Hi,

We're a family of 4 who relocated to Glenarm, Northern Ireland a year ago with nowhere to live or no jobs...but the risk paid off and we now have a fantastic half acre plot (with OPP) in the countryside, a dog, and hubby has a job. The plan is for me to project manage the build. We've had some floor plans and sketch of our dream home for a few years as this has been a long term dream of ours. Worked with a fantastic architect to turn that into reality and we're now 8 weeks into our RM planning application, expect to hear in another couple of weeks, fingers crossed! We've completed as much pre planning as we can (yes, a huge spreadsheet) and have chosen SIPs@clays to get us to watertight stage, planning direct labour and our own labour to finish. As soon as we get the green light our architect will work with SIPs@clays to get design complete and building control application submitted. We had a ridge height restriction on OPP, so to provide is with the upstairs space we need, we have opted for a 5degree mon pitch sedum roof and plan to clad the house in black corrugated steel - always loved how this reflects the surrounding environment and will fit well in its farm setting.

Well that's it for now...sure you'll be hearing a lot more from me as our project proceeds and questions arise.

Thanks, Kerry

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

Hi,

I've not been on a while as we have been waiting on approval of Reserved Matters before being able to progress, well, last Wednesday, after eight months rather then 8 weeks, we received full approval. We did have to make one set of changes (they were submitted in September)  - lower half clad in stone, some changes to window design - but we are over the moon that we can get started! The planning delay has been very frustrating and has cost us thousands (eg SIPs cost has increased due to rise in materials costs), but we are here now and cant do anything about that, so onwards and upwards!

Edited by Kerry Rhodes
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Kerry Rhodes said:

Hi,

I've not been on a while as we have been waiting on approval of Reserved Matters before being able to progress, well, last Wednesday, after eight months rather then 8 weeks, we received full approval. We did have to make one set of changes (they were submitted in September)  - lower half clad in stone, some changes to window design - but we are over the moon that we can get started! The planning delay has been very frustrating and has cost us thousands (eg SIPs cost has increased due to rise in materials costs), but we are here now and cant do anything about that, so onwards and upwards!

• 1 month later...

Thanks for your comments all. I've uploaded the house design.

We're getting close to finishing our pack to submit to Building Control...reached a stumbling block on fire risk and will need to install an auto-mist system to keep the design as open as we'd like it. Ouch! The budget won't like that!

I'll have a look on here for some reputable local companies for that.

As we are trying to do as much ourselves, I don't have a builder yet to ask this question, so you may be able to help please? We will be building in SIPs so the external house will be finished in weather proof membrane and wood batons to support the final cladding. For the bottom half we plan to use https://www.quarrystore.co.uk/walling-products/stone-cladding /rustic-slate-cladding as we love the look of it (saw it in their show area) and I can fit it myself. The question is, what do I need to fit to the battons, to then use adhesive and fix the stone cladding tiles, a plywood? then would I also need a tile backing board on top, or should I use a cement board instead of plywood?

Your suggestions and guidance would be much appreciated - thank you.

16.10.20 - planning changes - Option B (3).pdf

12 hours ago, Conor said:

@Kerry Rhodes check with a mortgage broker how many lenders will cover a SIPs build with a non rendered cladding and a large flat roof. Might have limited choices when it comes to remortgaging after you have completed.

yes we will be limited but have looked into it and have some options, it'll be worth it!