Vaulted ceiling lighting

Nige

You could have pendants with long cords, so the light is closer to the area being lit.  Any spot lights may be so high up as to have little effect.  Have the lights at about 2200mm from the floor.  Means you can safely access for cleaning / changing lamps.

Look at wall lights / table lights / standard lamps as well.  Make sure they are easy to switch, so you don't have to spend time groping about to operate them.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Dreadnaught said:

I have roof lights (x9) in my flat roof with 3-metre ceilings. Roof is thick too (600 mm). 

I would be interested in your thoughts/ideas for them @the_r_sole. One thing I was considering was mirrored reveals for part of the vertical height. 

What I've done before with them is to build a little hidden channel at the base of the rooflight reveal and run an led strip in there, so that the light source in the room is always from the rooflights... also wall mounted lights washing the valuted ceiling can work a treat to give you a nice background lighting level.

With the led technology it's much easier to have different types of light with hidden fixtures, on vaulted rooms I think you only really want a pendant dropping down if it's a "statement" piece...

• Thanks 1

I've tried a few of the books but to be honest found them not as good as looking through pintrest.

I'm going to be in a similar situation in our extension.

I'm going to fit 2 large pendant lights and combine with spotlights. I'm now toying to fit a couple of either aesthetic trusses or just collar ties to add interest to the space. 

Also watching with interest. 

I have a large vaulted open plan area with our kitchen and living room there which has a large glazed gable, its SIPS so was easy to be vaulted. 

image.thumb.png.fc822ad7bcabe455de8efecc390ab452.png

I was planning spotlights which are the white type and blend in well, with pendants over the kitchen island to provide task lighting. I was thinking of running LED strip at the the wall/roof interface then you can uplight the vault to create a nice soft effect. 

I have also seen lots of good things done with the plaster in LED profiles for a quite modern twist. (Neither are what I woudl do , but you could create some really nice lighting with them. 

image.png.666973ceb298a34028f2f9b090c1dc02.png

image.png.23634e21e2d5830ec32319eb913a35dd.png

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Nige said:

Neither. Floor to ceiling glass aplenty.

In that case, could you look at led strips in a wee channel along the spring of the ceiling? 

The oxter (unofficial term ?) can be quite difficult to get a sweet, straight line on so you could maybe run something along there to hide that join and wash the walls/ceiling with light?

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/08/2020 at 11:01, Bitpipe said:

We have a vaulted ceiling in the rooms in roof  - we put a small bulkhead (50mm) down the centre of the roof and put LED strips in angled conduit either side - works well.

@Bitpipe is that right at the ridge,  so then your a lighting each vault down the way as such. Would be great to see a pic if possible? 

On 13/08/2020 at 00:27, Nige said:

Hi all

My small new build will have a vaulted ceiling in the open plan living area. Any ideas on lighting as opposed to just having spotlights all over?

So many options. We have a mono-pitched ceiling in our kitchen, totally uplit it. Not a thing on the ceiling, worked well as I lit from the cabinets, I have 2 colour temps, I can light in 4000K or 2700K or mix them, works really well and is nice light to work in as it's indiscriminate and baths everything in light.

Our original plan was a single indirect light source suspended centrally along the room, it would have worked really well (a little better than the chosen actually but never mind) but we discovered we could have this big white empty ceiling and it would look really clean.

I appreciate neither of these options are maybe the right thing for a living room but there are so many variations of light. Flos do some really nice little wall/ceiling mounted fittings which look like little white pipes which can be focused where you want them, those combined with suitable other sources such as table and floor lamps can light a space very well. 

Incorporate light into custom book cases or plasterboard shelf details if you have anything like that, maybe some wall lighting - what stage are you at? Could you create a detail around the perimeter to push light up?

• 2 years later...