Rigging up a single air conditioner to existing mvhr

Has anyone had any success at such a thing? 

Seems "relatively simple", split the feed going into the house from the mvhr, fit a "non return valve" then just somehow cobble the ac unit so it blows down the pipe towards the manifold...... 

Surely they make a unit that fits straight onto a 6" pipe????

Any input would be greatly appreciated. 

Tia

Ed

21 minutes ago, Construction Channel said:

Surely they make a unit that fits straight onto a 6" pipe????

Yep it’s called a ducted cassette ... and they are not cheap and need an external unit otherwise you’re just heating the localised air. 

Shame you can’t buy the US window units over here as they are ideal. 

Edited to add ... apparently you can buy the single room external coolers but they need a big hole or decent sized window ..!!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tennentslager said:

No idea but recently bought a portable in room unit with a 6” exhaust tube hanging out a window for £300 and boy oh boy do I like the freezing blast it blows out
it’s getting too hot even in Glasgow 

I got one of those last year and possibly the best money i ever spent. But now i want more!!! 

Try putting it at the foot of the bed so it blows under the duvet. Too cold for Faye but i loved it

12 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Yep it’s called a ducted cassette ... and they are not cheap and need an external unit otherwise you’re just heating the localised air. 

Shame you can’t buy the US window units over here as they are ideal. 

https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/iqool-3ms9k9k9k/tcl-iqool3ms9k9k9k-air-conditioner

I saw this which would do the 3 rooms i need but it just seems a shame to waste all the ducting i already have in place. I shall look into these ducted cassettes and see how it would stack up. 

Thanks for your help

39 minutes ago, Construction Channel said:

https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/iqool-3ms9k9k9k/tcl-iqool3ms9k9k9k-air-conditioner

I saw this which would do the 3 rooms i need but it just seems a shame to waste all the ducting i already have in place. I shall look into these ducted cassettes and see how it would stack up. 

Thanks for your help

Recently picked up a Daikin one with 2x internal units BNIB's off someone who was fed up of tripping over the boxes....for £200.00. My house is like a furnace and the home office is unbearable so this is getting done ASAP as it's just not survivable ATM ( plus these will provide heat in  the winter and PV will offset AC function ). Just wish we still lived deep in caves, then no issues would exist!!

25.2oC inside today, office was hotter.

Edited by Nickfromwales

1 hour ago, Tennentslager said:

No idea but recently bought a portable in room unit with a 6” exhaust tube hanging out a window for £300 and boy oh boy do I like the freezing blast it blows out
it’s getting too hot even in Glasgow 

Got exactly this in the boys attic room, and you could keep meat in there.

I have a portable AC unit.  It does it's job but it has 2 "issues"

One is the horendous noise it makes, no way could I have it running in a bedroom. And the other is you have to pipe the heat out somehow.

A thought has dawned on me.  to run it outside (under a rain cover) and somehow duct the cool air to the mvhr inlet port, and run the mvhr in bypass mode.  Perhaps I will knock up something to try that one day.........

• 2 years later...
On 13/08/2020 at 19:33, ProDave said:

I have a portable AC unit.  It does it's job but it has 2 "issues"

One is the horendous noise it makes, no way could I have it running in a bedroom. And the other is you have to pipe the heat out somehow.

A thought has dawned on me.  to run it outside (under a rain cover) and somehow duct the cool air to the mvhr inlet port, and run the mvhr in bypass mode.  Perhaps I will knock up something to try that one day.........

Just thinking about doing this the last few days.... Anyone else tried it? Seems easy enough .