Floor Plan Design

just an idea for you. Not to scale.  If it was me....

this provides feature staircase up to similar central area upstairs.

spacious entrance hallway with WC.  Glazed doors to living room, and tempting through to diner kitchen.  Bank of units down one wall with oversize feature island with seating.  You could make the kitchen windows full height flooding this main room with light.  Put utility area far side, include second dishwasher for easy loading from dining table.   Study give window to rear.  If you wanted to link living to dining use pocket doors but this would reduce the wall space for sofas.

9195BFC3-A185-4019-BD7D-7AA625933DA1.jpeg

Thanks Bozza.

It's an interesting concept and probably would have quite a wow factor.

One to ponder over and I'll model up something along those lines to see what the rest of the family think of the design.

AliG the door can be moved on that side of the wall without causing any issues.

Or even removed completely if it helps the design.

50 minutes ago, Saucepan said:

Thanks Bozza.

It's an interesting concept and probably would have quite a wow factor.

One to ponder over and I'll model up something along those lines to see what the rest of the family think of the design.

AliG the door can be moved on that side of the wall without causing any issues.

Or even removed completely if it helps the design.

You are welcome hope some new ideas help. idea being plenty of space for family plus separate quiet living room.  If you are able to move the side door from kitchen I would put a large pantry there.  This is cost effective as you’d need far less tall kitchen units.  Also if you don’t need a shower downstairs.  At the moment, you could put a non load bearing Wall between wc & pantry, with space & plumbing for a future shower.  Thus can easily reduce pantry size and increase we to fit in a shower.  

for the study area a couple of options.  One is leave it entirely open plan, or have an internal glazed partition (Per image).  Again so if you need this area as a future room you can easily put up an internal wall.

you can put more storage in hallway eg under stairs etc.

haven’t looked at upstairs in detail but consider jack and Jill or shared family bathrooms.   Also throughout better to have more built in cupboards/wardrobes etc & less floor space, than more floor space that’s full of shoe racks, wardrobes etc etc cluttering up the space.  

Good luck !

image.jpeg

• Like 1

We've had an idea to put a utility room without needing to pass through it from the porch to kitchen area.

The kitchen island also becomes possible in this design.

And it leaves a fairly large porch area which is nice to enter to.

What are peoples views on the WC under the stairs? 

image.thumb.png.9783d40b9251a8b9d65cbd004959dfef.png

After looking at the upstairs it became easier to create a nicer layout if the stairs were oriented differently.

So there's no need for the WC under the stairs.

Here is the latest idea with the upstairs floor plan as well.

image.thumb.png.2622592807b979c983e0da2bbd3f2cbf.png

image.thumb.png.6bc42d541e61c2706f8ccb24c2f0d309.png

Edited by Saucepan

You could try the WC to where the door to the lounge is, then it would have a small window and you could do a double door into the kitchen The door to the lounge would be where storage is marked and storage would be just under the stairs. I am not sure which would be better and it may not work to access the storage, this might be an issue anyway as the height of the stairs all still be quite low where the lounge wall is.

If the utility room is just for laundry and you don't mind tumble drying I think you could rejig things and make it a cupboard upstairs,

I think you are getting there ?

Edited by AliG
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Saucepan said:

After looking at the upstairs it became easier to create a nicer layout if the stairs were oriented differently.

So there's no need for the WC under the stairs.

Here is the latest idea with the upstairs floor plan as well.

image.thumb.png.2622592807b979c983e0da2bbd3f2cbf.png

image.thumb.png.6bc42d541e61c2706f8ccb24c2f0d309.png

Looking at the first floor, there has to be a way to position the top two en-suites in one line on top of each other, thus squaring off both bedrooms. 

• Like 1

Saucepan, downstairs.  Try this.  It might work for your needs.

move the lounge/porch dividing wall maybes 1 metre up into the lounge to where the stairs end. Approx in line with where the kitchen and dining areas dividing line is.  Then Move the lounge/dining dividing wall left maybes 0.5-1m left (squaring off the study to make it maybes 3-3.2 m wide something like that).  This will make your lounge squarer approx 4.5 x 5.5 something like that.  If you need doors between lounge and dining use pocket doors.

The porch area will then be big.  push your utility to the right and Into the now bigger porch space, partially under the stair, with access from kitchen or porch if you prefer.  You may need to change your stairs to an L shape to land upstairs in the same place.

the result will be your kitchen diner shouldn’t have the utility area stuck midway.    If this new utility space partially under the stairs isn’t quite big enough your doors could be double doors from kitchen to access sort of a deep but wide utility cupboard / laundry, galley area as opposed to a walk in room.  

the island does look far better than the breakfast bar.  The utility block as is does spoil that feature room,  but I think you’re moving in the right direction,

A6043CF3-C6DC-49B1-BBE7-94EE1594718F.jpeg

Edited by Bozza
  • Like 2

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.

The floor plan has come a long way in a week.

We'll probably just make minor tweaks around some of the storage/door openings when we work with our architect.

But we think that the below plans provide us with everything we would need as well as looking great..

image.thumb.png.a1e1b48132dda21fe0adcd2f6dca5117.png

image.thumb.png.654d534a8d2cd99fd447a7556aade63d.png

Yeah much better downtairs!  Even getting seats in the hallway! And a pantry!  A proper architect will get it even better.   I would definitely only have the pocket doors between dining & kitchen.  Also think about your kitchen units again.  With your pantry, utility and island unit that’s an awful lot of base units in front of the back window,  consider drawing your kitchen unit layout before committing to room layout.  Still think full height windows there which would look amazing with your big island etc.

if there is a change upstairs your stairs can start In an improved location In the hallway  downstairs.

i had a look at your upstairs but struggled to get 4 beds with en-suite but I’m sure an architect could squeeze them in if essential for you to have so many en suite.  Bear in mind this would result in 6 toilets through the house though.    Upstairs you currently have a lot of funny shaped room try to get them squared as much as possible.  As opposed to shower boxes in each room.  Another reason think carpets.  Currently your room shapes will result in lots of off big off cuts that you’ll be paying for.  Also one has two dimensions greater than 5m so you won’t get a standard carpet to fit. 

would love to see what your architect comes up with !   Good luck !

Edited by Bozza
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bozza said:

Yeah much better downtairs!  Even getting seats in the hallway! And a pantry!  A proper architect will get it even better.   I would definitely only have the pocket doors between dining & kitchen.  Also think about your kitchen units again.  With your pantry, utility and island unit that’s an awful lot of base units in front of the back window,  consider drawing your kitchen unit layout before committing to room layout.  Still think full height windows there which would look amazing with your big island etc.

if there is a change upstairs your stairs can start In an improved location In the hallway  downstairs.

i had a look at your upstairs but struggled to get 4 beds with en-suite but I’m sure an architect could squeeze them in if essential for you to have so many en suite.  Bear in mind this would result in 6 toilets through the house though.    Upstairs you currently have a lot of funny shaped room try to get them squared as much as possible.  As opposed to shower boxes in each room.  Another reason think carpets.  Currently your room shapes will result in lots of off big off cuts that you’ll be paying for.  Also one has two dimensions greater than 5m so you won’t get a standard carpet to fit. 

would love to see what your architect comes up with !   Good luck !

Pocket doors is one we'll have a good think over and probably go and try them out somewhere or see them in action in a house if we can find one that has them to view.

Yes we will mock up the complete kitchen details with all the units we would want.

That way we can make sure we are happy with the amount of units in the kitchen area and makes it easier to decide if we need units under the kitchen window.

I'll do a version with and without full kitchen windows.

You  are right that it would look amazing.

Would bifolds be better then full windows there too as then we could open up the whole area?

If you ignore the upstairs layout (aside from stairs being excluded from porch area) roughly where and what style of stairs would you place?

I can have a go at making a layout upstairs that takes into account alternative stair placement.

We are pretty open to changing upstairs as we haven't spent much time on there aside from making sure we could fit in everything.

The preference is 3 en-suite but maybe we would go with 2 en-suite if the layout proves challenging with 3.

Very useful to know about things like carpet size limits.