Garage lighting

Alexphd1

VTac panels are my weapon of choice - I would put 6 No. 600x600 panels with ceiling mounts across the space. Can be had for sub £20 for the panel plus £6-8 per flush mount frame. You’ll be able to do operations in there it will be so bright ..!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Alexphd1 said:

What's everybody using in there garages for lighting? Garage is approx 7x8m used as a garage plus a small work area. 

Non-Corrosive LED battens.

At my workshop end I wanted higher illuminance so I went for 2 x 4500Lm LED battens equally spaced across 2 purlins, at about 3.2m at the front where there will be less activities and daylight when the door is open I have a single 6000Lm batten at the ridge at about 4.2m.

Works well and total power consumption is about 110W for good usable lighting - also being LED instant full brightness so ideal for flipping the light on for 30 seconds to get something and leave, something flo's hate in the cold and reduces lamp life and output significantly. 

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

VTac panels are my weapon of choice - I would put 6 No. 600x600 panels with ceiling mounts across the space. Can be had for sub £20 for the panel plus £6-8 per flush mount frame. You’ll be able to do operations in there it will be so bright ..!

They do look interesting, I might go for that and stick a dimmable driver on.

6 hours ago, joe90 said:

After breaking so many fluorescent tubes in my previous garage/workshop I fitted leds strips.

Do you mean strips, or battens? The former are usually 12V and come on a roll of with a sticky back, the latter are mains and in an enclosure that's a drop in replacement for Fluorescent tube light.

image.png.9a062caa4a1b4b0b98b3a7b75a8a996e.png vs   image.png.6c9e4c428a445788b5a84ed795ad58bf.png

43 minutes ago, joth said:

Do you mean strips, or battens?

strips, 12v power source, stuck to every other roof truss, can’t remember the power etc but fine for most work with angle poises over work benches for close up work.

We have the LED tubes in the garage which is 7x9. They are n a PIR which works well as they come on as soon as you open the door.

The problem is that with sectional doors they didn't want to put them above where the doors would be when they are open and I do not find the garage is well lit. Doesn't matter for us as I don't spend any time in there but it would be annoying ifI was using it as a workshop. You probably need 6 lights to spread the light properly.

IMG_8599.thumb.JPG.8540b50312e594ac85f600407ef2a0b0.JPG

Edited by AliG