Hidden LED light strip

davidk

Finally starting to look at our lighting now that the build has started. We have a 4.5m long wall that I’d like to wash with light using a hidden led light strip, ideally something like the image attached. Hopefully the buildhub community can nudge me in the right direction for what I need to achieve this or at least help me explain this to my spark while sounding as if I have a semblance of knowing what I’m talking about. ?

A1809C92-0D59-480F-BDC1-E21CF3F0E743.jpeg

2 hours ago, davidk said:

Finally starting to look at our lighting now that the build has started. We have a 4.5m long wall that I’d like to wash with light using a hidden led light strip, ideally something like the image attached. Hopefully the buildhub community can nudge me in the right direction for what I need to achieve this or at least help me explain this to my spark while sounding as if I have a semblance of knowing what I’m talking about. ?

A1809C92-0D59-480F-BDC1-E21CF3F0E743.jpeg

There are several ways to create the detail shown in the image.

One common method we would specify is a builders detail, whereby a cover detail is creating by framing and plasterboarding it, it get plastered and essentially a ledge with an upstand is created where an LED product sits. Tape is the contractors friend but is not always the best option, stuff from the merchants and Screwfix and B&Q is pretty poor. I usually specify ridged LED profiles which come in 200mm to 10000mm and these sit into the "builders detail".

cove.jpg.57eecb042e8358a04ed9cfb01e6abbe3.jpg1551045746_cove2.thumb.jpg.dd94248cfdc2288fed430dd6bd74c3d6.jpg

Another way to do it is using a profile that gets plastered into the ceiling or a continuous light fitting.

https://www.lightnet-group.com/en/product/matric-f1-ip54-342

https://arc-led.co.uk/plaster-in/897-arc-pbuw-plasterboard-flush-mounted-aluminium-led-profile.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwps75BRAcEiwAEiACMb52xzv6lGqe6O-jfx1aSE2yr8KNYtC8CseBOq4YkqObIgcYTWF62xoCZzYQAvD_BwE

Edited by Carrerahill
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Carrerahill said:

One common method we would specify is a builders detail, whereby a cover detail is creating by framing and plasterboarding it, it get plastered and essentially a ledge with an upstand is created where an LED product sits. Tape is the contractors friend but is not always the best option, stuff from the merchants and Screwfix and B&Q is pretty poor. I usually specify ridged LED profiles which come in 200mm to 10000mm and these sit into the "builders detail".

cove.jpg.57eecb042e8358a04ed9cfb01e6abbe3.jpg

These are very interesting details, but to confirm they're solve a different need up providing hidden uplight to wash the ceiling, rather than hidden downwash light onto the wall?  I'd imagine the builder's detail for the latter would look something like a drop ceiling with a vertical shadow gap at the edge before it meets the adjoining wall, and the LED strip/profile is mounted 

i.e. something like this (excuse repurposing!)

?

image.thumb.png.c4060c078b9b59470cb5dd312c2b48cd.png 

We have the uplighters and I need to put them into the channels as at the moment they shine in a wavy fashion onto the ceiling, or maybe I just need to take the backing off and tape them down. I was too tight to buy the channels when they went in, but they don't look quite right at the moment.

We have a wall wash via a channel cut into the ceiling, your design would be more elegant but quite a bit of work. Ours works well and is pretty well hidden when it is off.

IMG_8600.JPG

IMG_8602.JPG

IMG_8603.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, joth said:

These are very interesting details, but to confirm they're solve a different need up providing hidden uplight to wash the ceiling, rather than hidden downwash light onto the wall?  I'd imagine the builder's detail for the latter would look something like a drop ceiling with a vertical shadow gap at the edge before it meets the adjoining wall, and the LED strip/profile is mounted 

i.e. something like this (excuse repurposing!)

?

image.thumb.png.c4060c078b9b59470cb5dd312c2b48cd.png 

Not really, the details posted by myself above were just to show the detail, you would rotate it to suit, so for example you take the top details and have the opening wall side. The detail above requires more distance and or a more diffuse source. For a uniform light without any hot spots or dull areas I'd always use the second bounce approach, in your detail (which I have yet to see used well anywhere frankly) the wall becomes the "reflector", not good. 

Have a look at this - note the washing to the centre core, this was done using the detail I posted originally.

library2.thumb.jpg.ab0c051308baa9227807227cea1e5f92.jpg

Edited by Carrerahill
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, davidk said:

@AliG your lighting looks great! The bottom picture is exactly the sort of thing we’re trying to achieve. 

Thanks, I should have taken another picture in the dark as you see the wash effect better. Also it probably would work better on paint than tiles.

They simply cut a channel into the edge of the ceiling and put an LED strip in an aluminium profile with a diffuse cover into it. A lot easier to build than the sideways wash if not quite as elegant.