Kitchen Worktop Options

LeeVanCleef

My neighbour is using microcement - I think on MDF. It's turning out really well. Thin coating but seems quite robust, not sure if would work for kitchen use but looks great on a table and v cheap. 

19 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

Not good enough I am afraid.  There is plenty of time to finish this and tidy up during lockdown.  I will give you another 2 weeks, then I expect some photos.

HAHAHAHA

Lockdown has resulted in changes and increased workload for the "day job" for both me and my wife, and has also made our contractors and trades and supply chains very unreliable, so we're now on month 15 of an 8 month renovation...

That said, the sapienstone via nerostein.co.uk was impressive: 10 days from placing order to the fabricator in Estonia to installation, they don't seem to be impacted by Lockdown or Brexit (they said snow  on the German autobahns is the biggest risk in their timeline)

@joth really curious how this ends up for you, my better half would really like to go for sapien stone, everything else feels like a compromise, but it just looks so thin and the edge detail concerns me.  Ours would also need a sink cut-out, but maybe an overmount sink solves that

11 minutes ago, tanneja said:

@joth really curious how this ends up for you, my better half would really like to go for sapien stone, everything else feels like a compromise, but it just looks so thin and the edge detail concerns me.  Ours would also need a sink cut-out, but maybe an overmount sink solves that

Yup after it was installed, the delivery guys said the thin exposed edge is the one vulnerable part - don't hit it end on with a heavy le creuset dish, as it can take out a whole chunk, not just a small chip.

weight coming down on top of it is fine, so long as not a point-impact.

Time will tell.

It would impact the look, but if we could find a suitable accent colour (black or brushed metal perhaps) I was thinking of using a metal edge profile, but they might be a step too far and lose the aesthetic https://lilleytileandstone.co.uk/schluter-schiene-m-edge-profile-m-brass-h-8mm-l-1-mtr-s.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6o2U18iU7wIVqejtCh2uYAeiEAQYBCABEgIkHvD_BwE

• 3 weeks later...

Ha, and here I thought Sapienstone was going to be my go-to.. it still might. 

But as others have said, by itself it might be too brittle. Has anyone tried some bracing methods? Or would making sure it doesn't overhang the cabinets suffice for 99% of the damage vectors?

Plus, if you drop an iron frying pan right in the center I suspect it'll still give (but.. perhaps that's true for most materials?)