New landing walkway

Laurence737

Hi everyone, I want to extend our gallery landing to make it a wrap around to provide new access to the master and 4th bedroom.  It will be going around our chimney stack and then connecting to the existing floor on the opposite side, spanning the void.

Can I support the walkway by tying into the existing floor joists on either side? Or will I need to put some reinforcement under the the walkway to support it from the wall it will run against?

5BD08FA9-13B7-4052-AC34-F25E472C673F.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

I’ve no idea, some dimensions might help, and a picture. 

The walkway will be 3m long and 1m wise and will run across the existing chimney, we will be taking back some floor space from the master about 900mm and the sloped wall will be going.

A structural steel beam runs under the balustrade of the existing gallery, but I’m not sure about the other side I think they are just standard spanning joists. 

2F013CC3-D3D9-4582-9D27-61F7CE1CCB55.jpeg

3A69BE96-369E-4D6A-87BE-A65CF7EC33EB.jpeg

1 minute ago, ProDave said:

A full plan would help, do you have the joist plan for that floor?

Sadly I don’t, on the gallery side there is a structural steel that runs along the balustrade, and the other side is joists supported by a structural wall that runs along side the existing staircase.

I’m still not sure what your trying to do but, what you need to be aware of, if you hang a joist of another than the first joists load will increase, you normally install two joists side by side bolted together to increase the strength before joining the new joist onto it. 

I think it will I’ll be a case of there’s no reason you can’t do what you want ,but you won’t be able to work it out until you strip of the trim covering the stairs and strip a bit of decorations back to see what you have underneath. 

Sorry it was probably my bad explanation,

we are intending to extend the existing galley landing to wrap around the current void, we will be moving the master bedroom wall back 1m to allow us to use the existing joists for the walkway that will access the master and 4th bedroom, however to link the two we need to run a landing walkway across the back wall (along the chimney stack) to connect the two, the walkway will be 3mx0.9m and will be supported on one end by the structural steel that props up the existing gallery and then tied into the existing joists on the opposite side (hopefully the diagram explains better!) I was just wondering if this would be enough to support the walkway or if I would need additional supports putting into the chimney stack?  The picture shows the existing stud wall to the master room that will be moved back 1m.

14B0B788-C6AE-4900-B53F-C958E99CABD5.jpeg

6A7C1801-932C-409B-9559-5AFE929EB1D2.png

1 minute ago, ProDave said:

Ah so that sloping ceiling with the window panels in it is a completely false structure and not part of a roof profile?

Yes it's a strange rooflight  as they decided to put two massive velux windows into the roof space in the late 90's.  We are intending to remove all of the false roof structure and open the ceiling up the the pitch.

26DA03A0-587F-4096-8193-115094D5140E.jpeg

Edited by Laurence737