MVHR commission template / cert

Sorry to be lazy. I have tried searching for 'MVHR cert' and 'MVHR commission' but not easy to find.

I'm looking for the document/template others have used to self certify/commission their MVHR. From memory @joe90 used it?

I do remember commenting on a thread where I am sure the document was uploaded but buggered if I can find it.

Scored 1.2 on the Air test today with the fan blower door. Not sure what this equates to in passive ACH terms but it's the best score i've ever hit.

• Like 1

I uses the spread sheet above.

What really annoyed me is I could not get a definitive answer to the actual extraction rates required by Scottish building regs. Even a call to the duty building control officer did not help, so I have done mine to the English regs.  I will find out in due course if it is accepted, but if not I will say well bloody well give me the rates that the Scottish regs require then.

2 hours ago, Oz07 said:

I'm looking for the document/template others have used to self certify/commission their MVHR. From memory @joe90 used it?

Yes I copied Jeremy’s but BI did not ask fir it!!!! (Still yet to balance it but seems ok).

1 minute ago, Nickfromwales said:

I think you could just fill it in in crayon and they wouldn't give a shit in most instances.

Yet some authorities insist on “professional commissioning” (there was someone on here that was told that) although there is no statuary qualification for that).

26 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Yet some authorities insist on “professional commissioning” (there was someone on here that was told that) although there is no statuary qualification for that).

Lip service for most I'm afraid ( bloody expensive lip service too ).

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 11/08/2020 at 19:44, joe90 said:

I have been told by my BCO "installation and commissioning certificate is required" because it is "an integral component of your dwelling".

When asked what qualifications of a suitable contractor I would need to hire for a valid certificate there was no relevant answer other than recommending an HVAC installer 4hrs travel time away from me.

I will be going the self-certification route at completion next year. I won't ask for approval beforehand. (I am an expert in airflow after several decades professional experience in close up bird flight photography :)

Could some kind person please point me to info on hiring/buying meter like a Testo 405i to take the measurements?

41 minutes ago, Hastings said:

I have been told by my BCO "installation and commissioning certificate is required" because it is "an integral component of your dwelling".

When asked what qualifications of a suitable contractor I would need to hire for a valid certificate there was no relevant answer other than recommending an HVAC installer 4hrs travel time away from me.

I will be going the self-certification route at completion next year. I won't ask for approval beforehand. (I am an expert in airflow after several decades professional experience in close up bird flight photography :)

Could some kind person please point me to info on hiring/buying meter like a Testo 405i to take the measurements?

We have a flow meter available to hire to members. 

https://forum.buildhub.org.uk/topic/3281-on-loan-anemometers-for-testing-and-setting-up-mvhr/page/4/

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Hastings said:

My BCO rejected my first self certifying report as the Anemometer had no proof of being calibrated. I recently hired this : https://www.inlec.com/testo-417-vane-anemometer-with-flow-hoods so hopefully will now accept my report.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, JamesP said:

My BCO rejected my first self certifying report as the Anemometer had no proof of being calibrated. I recently hired this : https://www.inlec.com/testo-417-vane-anemometer-with-flow-hoods so hopefully will now accept my report.

Aha! That's the meter @Hastings hired too, but he only went and lost his copy of the calibration certificate! What is he like?! Any chance you could photocopy yours for him? ?

12 hours ago, MJNewton said:

Aha! That's the meter @Hastings hired too, but he only went and lost his copy of the calibration certificate! What is he like?! Any chance you could photocopy yours for him?

Not me, did you mean someone else?

1 hour ago, Hastings said:

Not me, did you mean someone else?

No, I was just trying to help you out in case you end up with 'must insist on a calibration certificate even though I did actually see you do the test and so you might have made the figures up anyway' type of BCO! ?

Edited by MJNewton
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone come across PEATA  (Professional Extraction Airflow Testers Alliance) here?

For £80/yr and 1 hr online training - it's not clear if there is another charge for this - you become a qualified tester/commissioner and get one free meter hire.

"Our online training course can be completed in an hour, and our professional-quality certificate creation web app makes it easy for the Building Inspector to sign off on your project.

3 minutes ago, Hastings said:

"Our online training course can be completed in an hour, and our professional-quality certificate creation web app makes it easy for the Building Inspector to sign off on your project.

I wonder what the 'professional-quality' bit means? Is it a euphemism for 'impressive looking'?

If the building regs don't mandate/recognise a particular qualification/certification required for sign-off then you really can't be held to needing to meet any particular level.  

On 14/10/2021 at 21:59, Hastings said:

I think you need something like a Testo 417 with hood kit (it's what I bought). Or a vane anemometer and road cone.

It might just be a bloke with a couple of meters looking to make a bit of cash. Not in an underhand way, I hasten to add, but just filling an apparent gap. I suppose if they provide some online trainining, and of course lend you a tester, then it's not all bad but you can then all that from here (the forum).