Measuring steel for fabricator

David R

MarcC and Russel.

I have been thinking along these lines myself.  It is starting to make more sense, I could splice the posts. this would allow an as and when needed approach. It would also mean easier handling and install.  Bit more expensive on splices but off set against getting it wrong big time.  Interestingly, the last fabricator said he did not work "hot" on site. Any alterations would mean the crane coming back in and taking the section back to the workshop. This in itself ruled him out, as it would be better to get it wrong with a fabricator with a quote coming in at half the price, who was willing to work on site.

The_r_sole,   I will try to get some drawings uploaded, when I can edit the engineers and architects details off the pdfs.

I think we have found a steel fabricator that is a decent fit for the project, pragmatic and practical.  He builds lots of agricultural buildings and says farmers are always changing their minds last minute.  So any on site issues would not be a problem to sort on site. He is willing to help as much as possible with levels. He will produce a cad drawing for us as soon as we give him our assumed sizes. From this we will get a better idea of the steel layout.

We have been working through the drawings and have found errors in both the SE drawings and architecture plans. Incorrect joiting detail, wrong build up of ceiling / cold roof, that would make the terrace higher than the inside room, wrong type of under floor heating ( no screed / thermal mass, just spreader plates ) feel a bit foolish for not noticing earlier. I am very glad that we have caught the mistakes now as later on would be very expensive.  Makes me wonder how contractors get on after being handed plans that are wrong and don't spot the errors at kick off. 

Being made to go through the pain barrier of measuring all build ups and steel structure has led to a better understanding of the build.