GI rig access

Moonshine

I am about to get some ground investigation works done which include some window sampling and boreholes for retaining wall design.

The issue with the site is that to get to the locations of the boreholes, the machine will likely need to navigate some steps and a 0.8 high wall (ramps needed).

Has anyone got any experience of what inclines / slopes a mini piling rig (e.g. Dando Terrier) can handle on its tracks to get to drilling position? 

I have seen images like this, so know it it possible for the steps, but for the 0.8m wall, i am not sure if ramps would work as its over a ton of machinery!

site-investigation-rig-0046.jpg.9efa78b471fc7aac2ab914231f34b5da.jpg

I operated one of those for a few years. Mine had the set of ramps as they where needed to get the rig out of the van. 

You would need a scaffold on each side of the wall so you go up the ramp onto the scaffold across the wall and then onto the other scaffold and down. I have used Kwikstage and doubled up on the planks as due to the incline it will go up then tip over and land with a fair bang. 

Get them to take all of the rods and casing that are on the side to reduce the weight. 

Or if it's workable you can detach the front section that does all the work and use longer hydraulic hoses to attach it to the main unit. 

1 hour ago, Declan52 said:

I operated one of those for a few years. Mine had the set of ramps as they where needed to get the rig out of the van. 

You would need a scaffold on each side of the wall so you go up the ramp onto the scaffold across the wall and then onto the other scaffold and down. I have used Kwikstage and doubled up on the planks as due to the incline it will go up then tip over and land with a fair bang. 

Get them to take all of the rods and casing that are on the side to reduce the weight. 

Or if it's workable you can detach the front section that does all the work and use longer hydraulic hoses to attach it to the main unit. 

Good to know, though i think that i haven't explained properly, the wall is a stepped wall as below, rather than a free standing wall, so the machine would need to get up a 0.8m step (the access is too tight to get up the steps to the left in the photo)

20200811_112221.thumb.jpg.7d993402b66b0bff66550f710ef259fa.jpg

That is a good to know about the extra long hoses, though i think the furthest position for a hole is about 10m from this wall, i don't know if the hoses are that long.

Edited by Moonshine

51 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

How deep are the borehole as you can get to 4m with handheld kit. Can't do any SPT tests though. 

The basement FFL is going to be about 3.5-4m below existing ground level so may need to be machine (one quote i have got is using the Dando Terrier)

what is SPT?

40 minutes ago, Hobbiniho said:

Any access to lift it into place with a crane truck? If not it shouldnt be that hard tomake some kind of a ramp its not exactly high

no access to lift, i think that a ramp may be the way forward, even it its a temp earth one.