Extended Gable Soffit Material

Ralph

Hi all,

we have an extended gable to form a covered balcony and I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to use for the soffit/ceiling. The roof is standing seam down to he first floor level then lapped cedral on the ground floor. My joiner thinks that using lapped cedral may not work and has suggested plywood painted to match the roof. 

I'm a bit dubious on the plywood, I think it may look crap and the point of using cedral elsewhere was to be low maintenance. I know Cedral do a soffit material but I'm assuming the prices are going to be high for the kind of area we're looking at. We would also need something for the underside of the balcony. 

Any suggestions?

image.thumb.png.064652e2b66607dab0e70c27b9676ad1.png

1 hour ago, SuperJohnG said:

As a nice offset here to break it up I would look into red cedar or siberaian larch. You can get quite a nice design which will make the whole thing pop. 

I like the idea of a contrasting colour however, as there is no other actual wood on the build I want to avoid it as it will weather and need maintenance.

6 minutes ago, Ralph said:

I like the idea of a contrasting colour however, as there is no other actual wood on the build I want to avoid it as it will weather and need maintenance.

Different colour of cedral then? 

I am hoping to use Cedral or similar for soffits and fascias, but struggling to find anyone to quote me on it, which is a pain. 

Just to follow up - I did watch a Building the dream the other week, where a couple used Aluminium cladding which looked like wood underneath it was very trick looking and they have a large overhang just like you. I'll try find the episode, it  was an ICF house by the sea. 

13 minutes ago, the_r_sole said:

You could use the cedral click one for the soffits? (it looks way better than lapped boards on any application imo)

That could be an option thanks. We liked the look of the lap, then we thought about click, then went back to the lap when we got quotes in for the click. I don't recall exactly what the price difference was but it was enough to put me off.

17 minutes ago, SuperJohnG said:

Different colour of cedral then? 

I am hoping to use Cedral or similar for soffits and fascias, but struggling to find anyone to quote me on it, which is a pain. 

Yeah the planks are easy enough to find but the soffit board the use seems to be a bit harder. We're not sure if you can use the lapped planks on the underside.

15 minutes ago, SuperJohnG said:

Just to follow up - I did watch a Building the dream the other week, where a couple used Aluminium cladding which looked like wood underneath it was very trick looking and they have a large overhang just like you. I'll try find the episode, it  was an ICF house by the sea. 

That may work, thanks very much.

3 minutes ago, Ralph said:

That could be an option thanks. We liked the look of the lap, then we thought about click, then went back to the lap when we got quotes in for the click. I don't recall exactly what the price difference was but it was enough to put me off.

yeah, it's always more expensive but since the soffit is relatively small area it shouldn't be too bad? A builder suggesting painted plywood is why you shouldn't take advice on aesthetics from a builder ?

Rockpanel looks nice, bit expensive but no maintenance. 

I used on my last place cement sheeting boards that had plastic joining strips, made by James hardy. 

Its the details like this that this country lets you down, loads of other options available abroad, but over here if you want different it’s going to cost you. 

• Thanks 1