Waste and top water

nod

We where quite lucky with our drainage on our first build 

In that we where able to connect the top water and discharge from the treatment plant to an existing drain that ran at the back of the plot 

On our new plot we expect the ground to be sand and clay as with the previous plot 

There doesn’t seem to be much in the way of ditches or drains 

I’ve worked on properties where they have used crates in a soak away

I was wondering what my options are 

2 hours ago, joe90 said:

Depends on the “soakability” of your soil. Crates or soakaway only work if the ground will take it (unlike our solid clay ?) you need to dig a test pit.

The planners wanted a test on ours 

SE said no point I will speak to them 

Pretty much same contains on the new one

I wondered what the options are if solid clay

34 minutes ago, nod said:

wondered what the options are if solid clay

With ours I even argued a soakaway or attenuation was a waste of time and granted permission to dump straight to a ditch.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, joe90 said:

With ours I even argued a soakaway or attenuation was a waste of time and granted permission to dump straight to a ditch.

We are two fields away from a sand pit Quarry The SE saved us Money last time by arguing that bore hole test was a waste of money 

I’m hoping we can dig a pit and fill it with limestone for the top water 

The neighbor had all the usual surveys done when he applied to build a bunch of houses immediately behind the plots Same post code I’m tempted to see if the company that didn’t these would do a deal 

On solid clay with no ditches there aren't many options.  

If there is no convenient ditch you might propose a storm surge buffering tank/crate system with discharge into the foul water.

A soakaway mound (or storm surge buffering tank and soakaway mound) might work if there is some surface permeability, but they can need a large area ideally down hill from the house.

You can try not collecting rainwater and design the roof so water shoots off away from the house all around. After all before you build the house rainwater will just be spread on the ground. I think in some countries shooting water off the roof into large soakaways all the way around a house are used. Think the UK rules specify they must be a minimum distance away.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, joe90 said:

Is there moving water in the ditch 

Or does it not go anywhere 

37 minutes ago, ProDave said:

It's not normally a planning issue.

Building control however WILL be interested.

I agree 

Spent many hours trying to sort things out prior to starting our build 

Only for. BC to say you might be better with your treatment plant over there and top water there 

Get your Architect to put something down on paper 

Not easy to plan ahead 

1 hour ago, nod said:
4 hours ago, joe90 said:

Is there moving water in the ditch 

Or does it not go anywhere 

It is wet most of the year and eventually ends up in the Tamar (so the environment agency tells me).

• Thanks 1