Mix and matching suppliers

osmononame

Hi guys,

I finally have a date for the erection of my kit - w/c 17th! I now need to have a think about windows and doors!

I have looked at most of the usual suspects around where I stay:

Rationel 

Velfac

Viking Windows AS

Norwood

Nordan

To be honest they are all pretty keen on the business and prices are coming in pretty close to each other. The issue I have is that I like the windows from Rationel/Velfac/Nordan (they are all pretty similar I felt in quality but the Nordan guarantee let it down at only 2 years for the ironmongery) but for the sliding doors the Viking lift and slide doors felt substantial / well made and a pleasure to use and the Nordan one not as good (Rationel/Velfac can't do the sliding doors in the openings we need). The Viking windows didn't feel as good to be honest but that might be down to them situated in a building merchants and not cared for as opposed to the others where they were in fancy show rooms.

So back to my question - I can't be the first to have come across this - has anyone here mixed and matched windows and sliding doors and if so any regrets? I understand the profiles will be slightly different but the RAL colours should match?

p.s. we are looking at aluclad timber windows/doors.

Edited by osmononame

I really like lift and slide doors so go with Viking for them.

No problem mixing but sometimes if you have, say, sliding doors with fixed panes above a single system can work better.

Did you look at IdealCombi?  V. similar to Velfac but with an insulated core and may be a bit cheaper.

Delivery charges may mean it does not work out to spread the order too thin.

1 hour ago, Mr Punter said:

Did you look at IdealCombi? 

Yes - we have a quote from them - a bit more than the others but they had got the wrong openings on a lot of the windows so I need to go back to them for a revised quote so I can compare like for like. The trouble with them however is that I can't see the product anywhere local - it's a 10 hour round trip to go see them!

6 hours ago, osmononame said:

Yes - we have a quote from them - a bit more than the others but they had got the wrong openings on a lot of the windows so I need to go back to them for a revised quote so I can compare like for like. The trouble with them however is that I can't see the product anywhere local - it's a 10 hour round trip to go see them!

The outward opening Futura is almost identical to Velfac.  The inward opening has the same 50mm sight lines but is alu inner and outer with pur core.  I found it best to avoid opening sizes at the limit of available sizes.

10 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

The outward opening Futura is almost identical to Velfac.  The inward opening has the same 50mm sight lines but is alu inner and outer with pur core.  I found it best to avoid opening sizes at the limit of available sizes.

Does it then have the same issue as the Velfac with creepy crawlies / spiders that like to hide in the edges? I've seen that mentioned a couple of time about Velfac and it's putting the Mrs off!

On 08/08/2020 at 23:09, Mr Punter said:

Just called IdealCombi - they have stopped supplying to Scotland!! They have started a relationship with a distributor about a 3 hour drive north but tbh at that distance I might as well drive to their main showroom! Also the warranty is only valid if supplied and fitted by IdealCombi - if my builder fits it they wont warrant the product which is no good.

• 1 month later...

Which windows did you go for in the end Osmononame? I was looking at fitting aluminium windows in an extension in Aberdeen but wondered if there was advantages for going for composite instead. i need 3 rather large windows but they are to be fitted by the builder so i think that will rule out idealcombi

I ended up going with Rationel via ADW in Cumbernauld (although I believe they have an office up north). While I've not had delivery yet I can't fault the service thus far and the products in the showroom seemed spot on. They came in the cheapest in the end with the add-ons I was looking at (solar glass / 3g).