MVHR Ceiling Vent locations

Morning all,

So I know already that the vents need to be located for maximum cross ventilation of the rooms, but is there a set minimum distance which they should be from the walls and corners? I'm thinking having them too close to a wall could be a bad thing? I've not come across any set minimum, but want to get it in my mind before i start cutting holes in ceilings!

Regards

Mike

I seem to recall having reading 20cm minimum on at least a couple of manufacturer's sites. Aside from anything else I think too close might not look aesthetically pleasing?

Edited by MJNewton
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MJNewton said:

I seem to recall having reading 20cm minimum on at least a couple of manufacturer's sites. Aside from anything else I think too close might not look aesthetically pleasing?

Yeah i was thinking they'd look nicer a little further away. In my mind I was going to locate them in the second ceiling joist gap, which would put them about 500mm away from both walls to make it even...

I suppose it might depend how big the rooms are? The bigger the room the further away the 'sweet spot' might be? 500mm sounds a bit on the far side to me, but then I do tend to overthink things like this and forget that either a) there's more than one right answer, or b) 'normal' people wouldn't notice or care! 

Yeah I massively over think things too. For me it would be far easier to go with the 200mm from wall, as it'll be easier to get to in the loft. Rooms aren't huge, only a 2 bed bungalow i live in. Just taken delivery of all the ventilation gear from BPC, its amazing how compact it is, had in my mind it was going to be huge.

• 6 months later...

Hi,

I am currently battling my developer re the disaster of an MVHR system they installed in my once new 5 bed home. After nearly 7 years of arguing they have finally accepted defeat and are intending to remove the original system and replace with a new more powerful fan. They originally installed all the ceiling vents immediately above the doors in each room which I am aware is poor practice and does not allow for any cross-ventilation of the rooms.  I am insisting that the vents are relocated to a point further away in each room but they are repeatedly pushing back saying it is not necessary.

I am struggling to find any official guidelines or recommendations/evidence to support my claim. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Where does it say that MVHR needs cross-ventilation?

Would appreciate any assistance.

Thanks

I don't think there are building regs related to room vent locations, however I would imagine the manufacturer of the fan unit has design guides that cover the subject and it'd be hard to argue against them. What make is it? 

Edited by MJNewton

35 minutes ago, MikeGrahamT21 said:

Cross ventilation is just good design to move the most amount of air in each room, its nothing to do with the MVHR unit itself, that just needs to be sized correctly for the volume of air in the house.

Indeed, but the reason the specific model is worthwhile knowing as manufacturer instructions generally override general regulations and so really cannot be ignored if they say where vents should be sited (noting that the regs are silent on the subject).

46 minutes ago, MJNewton said:

Indeed, but the reason the specific model is worthwhile knowing as manufacturer instructions generally override general regulations and so really cannot be ignored if they say where vents should be sited (noting that the regs are silent on the subject).

I can't see manufacturers of MVHR units being bothered about vent locations to be honest, happy to be proved wrong though. Certainly nothing relating to vent location in my manuals, not even a suggestion of anything to do with the ducting at all.

I tried to standardise the location of mine so each room looked the same, especially in an open plan area where more than one supply is visible. However it took some trial and error as joist positions etc were not consistent. Settled on 600mm from one wall and 1000mm from another.

TBH, once they're up they kind of disappear  - my open plan kitchen dining has heat detectors, smoke detectors, supply and extracts and I rarely notice any of it.

Just ensure you don't foul potential light locations for ceiling spots etc.