Survey Advice Required!

Abbi

Hello all!

We're currently in the process of preparing our planning application (with the assistance of our architect) for submission. The LA have already advised that they require a number of surveys to be undertaken.

We've received a quote for an ecological survery and arboricultural survey which we think is extremely expensive.

Can anyone advise how much they paid for such surveys so that we can get an idea of what's average?!

Also, the LA has advised that we will need a traffic survey - to include the provision of speed surveys along the adjacent highway to our plot. We are building in South Wales - can anyone recommend a reputable company to undertake such an assessment?

Thanks! 

We've been quoted £2.5K for the arboricultural survey.

The site is overgrown and so I can't provide a definitive re number of trees (and neither can they at the moment!). We know three are 3 very mature trees (which we want to retain) and in addition to this, there are approx 6 young Ash trees. 

Some 13 years ago I paid £550 for a site survey and Tree Impact Statement. It listed all the important rees on site and their worth/quality or not and a description of the impact our development might have on 3 TPO trees. Eg "Tree 1,4 and 6 will need physical protection during construction to BSxxxx"

1 hour ago, Abbi said:

We've been quoted £2.5K for the arboricultural survey.

The site is overgrown and so I can't provide a definitive re number of trees (and neither can they at the moment!). We know three are 3 very mature trees (which we want to retain) and in addition to this, there are approx 6 young Ash trees. 

How big is the site ..?? And where are you in the UK..?

By “young” you need to define size at 1.5m above ground as below 75mm diameter it is not a tree and can be removed without notice. Above that and it is classed as a tree and has to be noted. 

Large trees would take no more than an hour to size and inspect - standard report etc and any hedgerows of interest and the lot should be done and wrapped up in half a day and written up so £5-700 should be easily the going rate. 

• Thanks 1

Sounds daft maybe....but I would get an example survey copy the format and then complete it for your site....unless they say it should be carried out by a person with a specific qualification?

If its a suitably qualified person then I don't see why you can't do it yourself.

• Thanks 1