Delivery charges

We are getting things finalised for our extension and summer house build.

The main chosen supply at this stage had been reluctant to give a figure of any sort over the last ten months until we had some drawings, which i get in part.

Over the development of the projecr communications have been rapid. And responses swift. People "who understand" the product have been suggested to us but this is the big but no one would seem to give us ball park figures stressing they needed drawings.

My partner is a chartered accountant in financial control she LOVES approximate  costs. So that's been an added worry. Our design and size isnt anything too unusal..

So 48 hours ago we received the big news of their costs. I guess a big issue has been covid in that they offer trainung usually which i guess they may offer more insight on the product and costs.

The architect gave us resssurance on his visit that what we are doing was a ball park figure of less than we had budgeted, not much but a few hundred.

So to the quote they had done basically two quotes..which looking over them in detail, im now at a loss as to why they dont do ball park quotes. One extension has been quoted with no doors or Windows to me thats just sloppy. Being told when you work out the doors just deduct them. Windows and doors are on the scaled plan! Which they have said we cant give exact figures til they had the plans.

Two quotes one they do all the work, we had stressed in many conversations i intend to PM it and be the main person doing the build buying in elements from others again talking to their staff you could buy days of their time. 48 hours ago that talk was lacking again, having been told at Swindon what we had requested IS information they have and do distribute! Frustrating we cant have it.

We were looking at two forms of ICF from thsse people, chosen because of the ability we  have been told to do it ourselves. Then they  suggest as a urgent need a soil survey at sub 5k...

Oh then on the quote they have included delivery in four parts which we had been told would be able to delivered on one wagon but each element has a delivery charge.

Which the dev manager says oh we can talk about those...talk about them? Too right when the materials cost circa  20k

The site is an accessible surburban setting the materials are being distributed and delivered to 80 miles or so 70 plus of the trip being on the m1.

I feel a bit mugged off if truth be told.

There's a lot of issues to unpick there tbf!

Surely if you're going to be pm on the project then things like the icf order and delivery will be in your responsibility anyway?

Same with the windows and doors, you can negotiate prices with a supplier if you are the pm...

Sound's like you need to give them a very defined scope of what you want and don't want? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, the_r_sole said:

There's a lot of issues to unpick there tbf!

Surely if you're going to be pm on the project then things like the icf order and delivery will be in your responsibility anyway?

Same with the windows and doors, you can negotiate prices with a supplier if you are the pm...

Sound's like you need to give them a very defined scope of what you want and don't want? 

That's EXACTLY what i did do

And funnily enough the 5k quote 72 hours on his urgent quote not mentioned before is still to materialise.

Speaking to other professionals they have all stressed sub five  k for a routine build is excessive.

And the lad who suggested it was needed has a background in cement pumping hardly SE background.