Hello Everyone

Ness

Hi Everyone! 

I am Ness and we are self building what was a CSH level 6 in Norfolk. When the government scrapped the code, we changed it but we are still pretty much building to the same spec. 

I have joined here here as I was an e-build member and loved it. I am having LABC and structural engineer issues at the moment and wanted to post for help (which I will do in a separate thread) but we have foundations poured and we are just waiting for the sale of our house to go through so we can free up our equity and carry on.... yay! 

Great to meet you all and look look forward to using this forum! Hope you all had a great Christmas :) 

• Like 2

Welcome to buildhub. Is it ebuild on steroids? Probably not, they are not good for you anyway (unless you have a life limiting medical problem), but just as useful / friendly / informative / open for discourse as ebuild in all respects, we look forward to learning more of what goes on in the far east!

• Like 1

On 12/30/2016 at 08:31, MikeSharp01 said:

( unless you have a life limiting medical problem)

o.OO.o

Ness, I hope you're in good health..............:D

You know the drill, and great to have you back on board. If you wish to direct a question at a particular member, just type @ and then you'll be able to type the first letter of the members username and it'll pop up on a drop list. When you select it they'll get notified that you "mentioned" them in a topic. 

@Ness just like that. 

We've a much better board here with some great functionality, so posts and questions rarely go astray ( like they sometimes did on EB :( ). 

Now go back to intently staring at the foundations, :) 

• Like 1

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone..... apologies, I thought I would get an email when I had comments. Plus I am 8 months pregnant.... lol! What is it with self builders and babies ?? Excited to use the site..... it looks great! 

@Crofter I was going to post on ebuild and thought it was a real shame it had turned off comments. Then just googled self build forum and this came up as the "new and improved" version! Lol! 

@Nickfromwales..... thank you, that is a super handy tool to know! 

Thank you @Fallingditch..... I will have a look at that now and where abouts in Essex are you? We are originally from Essex (Southend) and moved for the country life.... lol! 2nd fix is exciting.... we seem a long way off that yet! 

Looking forwsrd to chatting with you all..... thanks for the welcome ??

• Like 1

Thanks @Nickfromwales, I did..... that's why I assumed I would get a notification of any replies. I was just checking in my settings to see if anything was turned off there :) 

Here's my screen shot, but I had no clue anyone had replied, till I just checked in this eve. 

IMG_4543.PNG

Nope @Nickfromwales.... just got an email with your reply.... lol! I had checked that.... but when I went into my settings..... email notifications were switched off for everything. I hadn't changed it so it must be an automatic thing?? All changed now.... so I know what your all up to..... lol! ??

Hello & welcome. Best try and get things finished before they start secondary / university! :ph34r:

EDIT: Forgot to say there's plenty of help on here. Our resident brickmaker and drone pilot comes from Essex too. :)

Edited by Onoff

Lol @Onoff..... that is good advice. I was hoping the summer as we are also going on building the dream..... but I can't see that happening now.... ha ha! 

It will all be done when it's done.... that's my new theory ?? 

1 hour ago, PeterStarck said:

That's definitely the best way to approach it, reduce the stress!

2016 has been a definite "learning" year! Our new approach is to see the end goal and "let go" of how we get there! Plans don't always seem to work out how you expect..... as long as the end result is the same..... we're going with the flow.... lol! ???

10 hours ago, Ness said:

Lol @Onoff..... that is good advice. I was hoping the summer as we are also going on building the dream..... but I can't see that happening now.... ha ha!

It will ill be done when it's done.... that's my new theory ??

You mean YOUR build is being filmed for "building the dream"?

That guarantees something has to go wrong. Those programs ALWAYS have some difficulties with the mournful music playing in the background. No such difficulties and yours will be scrapped, no "entertainment" value if nothing goes wrong.

Yes.... but we like that show..... we have our own reasons for doing it and I am more than happy to show the real ups and downs. If it helps someone else in the future..... so be it! I don't know anyone that's ever had a perfect self build and even if someone takes away the fact that they should choose a structural engineer better..... it's worth it in my eyes :) 

Like GD when a delivery lorry sheds it's load of steel or that Clark fella when what they've made won't get out of the workshop and they have to cut the door bigger.....there ALWAYS happens to be a camera rolling! ;)

Yep and it's keeping it real..... lol! To be fair we contact them when we want them to come out and have a self build cam for the rest of it. But we are doing a self build blog and I would happily mention things like that.... as it's what happens. What's the point of only showing all the "good" things..... "warts n all" is my theory. Show people what real life building is like! If it helps 1 person, then it's good in my book! 

Wish some one one had some me"real" parenting.... lol! ???