Tile backer board or Mapei on plasterboard (or both)

Drew1000

Installing shower areas in new build and looking for advice on substrate.  Initial thoughts were moisture proof plasterboard and use Mapei waterproofing kit (Toolstation and others) prior to tiling.  (No shower boards).

Then thought of tile backer boards but they are quite expensive in comparison.  If I went for backer boards would I still need to waterproof them.  Not sure if the Mapei solution would suffice and its a waste of money putting backer boards on walls if Im going to waterproof anyway.  grateful for your thoughts on this one.

4 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Get comfy and read this ;)

Jeez - that all feels like a million years ago, you should see the state of those bathrooms now teenagers have had free reign for the last 3 years.

Can someone invent the self hanging towel...?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

Jeez - that all feels like a million years ago, you should see the state of those bathrooms now teenagers have had free reign for the last 3 years.

Can someone invent the self hanging towel...?

Tell me about it. In there for hours, all the hot water gone, everywhere drenched and the wall drain clogged here. How hard can it be to kick the towel around the floor when she's finished? 

31 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Tell me about it. In there for hours, all the hot water gone, everywhere drenched and the wall drain clogged here. How hard can it be to kick the towel around the floor when she's finished? 

If 'she' reads this, it'll be you getting kicked around the floor lol.

8 hours ago, Drew1000 said:

Installing shower areas in new build and looking for advice on substrate.  Initial thoughts were moisture proof plasterboard and use Mapei waterproofing kit (Toolstation and others) prior to tiling.  (No shower boards).

Then thought of tile backer boards but they are quite expensive in comparison.  If I went for backer boards would I still need to waterproof them.  Not sure if the Mapei solution would suffice and its a waste of money putting backer boards on walls if Im going to waterproof anyway.  grateful for your thoughts on this one.

95% of the showers I tile are moister board without any kind of waterproofing kit Which are absolutely fine 

If you want to go down the route of backer boards 

Gypsum now do a backer board that out performs Hardy It’s lighter easy to use and CHEAPER

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

If 'she' reads this, it'll be you getting kicked around the floor lol.

Yep, Buildhub is the #1 destination for lazy teenagers :).

Have to say though, 4 years in, those bathrooms are bomb proof. Only issue I have is the floor has dropped maybe 2mm in the master bathroom just below the heavy stone bath - grout just needs re-instated there when I can be bothered.

8 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

Yep, Buildhub is the #1 destination for lazy teenagers :).

Have to say though, 4 years in, those bathrooms are bomb proof. Only issue I have is the floor has dropped maybe 2mm in the master bathroom just below the heavy stone bath - grout just needs re-instated there when I can be bothered.

I found that putting the tiling off until 4 years after I'd laid the concrete slab i.e allowing everything to settle, prevented the finished floor from dropping.....

?

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, Temp said:

Did our shower with Hardibacker and stone tiles. No issues 12 years on. Only thing is Hardi is pretty hard to cut. I've been through quite a few TCT jigsaw blades. 

Pack of 3 blades for my Makits 18v cordless circular saw for £20, and just bite the bullet with the dust.