Connecting-up my empty meter box…

Last year, I had has an electricity kiosk installed by UKPN on site for a TBS (see below). Now I need to "turn it on" so I can use it for things like an electric chipper for learning the site. 

What do I need to do? 

1) get a electricity company to install a meter in the box?

2) sign up for a tariff?

3) get an electrician in to connect up some outdoor sockets?

Is that right?

By the way, I am going to keep the meter cabinet here when the house is finished, not move it inside. Its located in plain site just next as you come through the main gate so, at the end of the build, I am thinking to replace this cheap meter cabinet with something nicer to look at, perhaps made of brick or perhaps one of this nice green posh-looking meter cabinets. I am also going to have an EV charging point here too for an electric car, exactly where this is positioned.

(p.s. vandals knocked the door off; so I have taped it back on with parcel tape.)

252441290_Meterbox.thumb.jpg.d267898afb8d2fa32ae50bed1a3dd991.jpg

Yes, your 3 points are spot on. Usually simpler to combine steps 1 and 2 (I got British Gas to put me on a standard tariff and fit the meter).

You order of execution will be:-

1) Get your electrician to fit consumer unit and sockets, and tails to reach the meter

2) Select a supplier to get you on a standard tariff and to fit a meter

Once the meter is fitted you can change your tariff from the standard one

• Thanks 1

I don't think you are far off on your to do list. I found that I needed to sign up for a tariff and this caused the meter to arrive. I went for a tariff without standing charge because I wasn't going to be on site most of the time.

You'll need a small consumer unit and a couple of sockets installed.

I was speaking to my electrician over the weekend about similar things. He reminded me that there's a guideline about the meter being no more than 3 metres from the main consumer unit, and that the powers that be don't like anything other than the meter and main switch inside "their" box.

Edited by dnb
  • Thanks 1

I would just put a small, say 4 way CU right in the very top right of the meter box.  Use that to feed your site power, remembering that the site power sockets need to be fed from a TT earth (local earth rod)

Then get your chosen supplier to install a meter.  Once they have done that, you will have a better idea how much space you have left in the meter box.

For the permanent house supply, you will need to feed that via a switch fuse with an 80A fuse in it.  Hopefully once the meter is in you will still have room for that.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dreadnaught said:

who is your tariff with?

It is an Ebico zero tariff. As said previously, it's about the only one left.

Edited by dnb
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all. That all makes sense. Really helpful!

I made 9x calls this afternoon about getting a meter installed. Turned out that my electricity cable installation was referenced as a "TBS", unsurprisingly as that is what I requested, and SSE told me they no longer do meter installs for TBSs. But if I was to call UKPN and have "TBS" removed from the description on the system then they would be more than happy to install a meter for me.

So I called UKPN had the three letters removed and, tomorrow, will call SSE back to arrange an appointment for the meter to be installed before the end of August.

By the way, British Gas said they are working on a 5-weeks timescale for new meter-installs now and described all sorts of extra requirements too, such as a credit check. SSE seemed easier to work with.

Edited by Dreadnaught

• 5 weeks later...

News: Ebico (and all of Robin Hood Energy) announces its sale to British Gas. All customers are bing transferred. 

That might mark the end of zero-standing-charge tariffs in the market. Anyone know of any others?

By coincidence, I transferred the electricity supply on my plot to Ebico from SSE just a few days ago. Hopefully British Gas will honour the zero-standing charge tariff for at least the guarantee period of a year. The email from Ebico announcing the move said (my emphasis) "British Gas will be in touch in the next few weeks to outline your new tariff and prices, which will be at least as good as you are paying today." Fingers crossed!

Edited by Dreadnaught

18 hours ago, Dreadnaught said:

News: Ebico (and all of Robin Hood Energy) announces its sale to British Gas. All customers are bing transferred. 

That might mark the end of zero-standing-charge tariffs in the market. Anyone know of any others?

By coincidence, I transferred the electricity supply on my plot to Ebico from SSE just a few days ago. Hopefully British Gas will honour the zero-standing charge tariff for at least the guarantee period of a year. The email from Ebico announcing the move said (my emphasis) "British Gas will be in touch in the next few weeks to outline your new tariff and prices, which will be at least as good as you are paying today." Fingers crossed!

On the plus side it closes off a financial black hole for council tax payers in Nottingham. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/08/2020 at 14:14, Dreadnaught said:

Last year, I had has an electricity kiosk installed by UKPN on site for a TBS (see below). Now I need to "turn it on" so I can use it for things like an electric chipper for learning the site. 

What do I need to do? 

1) get a electricity company to install a meter in the box?

2) sign up for a tariff?

3) get an electrician in to connect up some outdoor sockets?

Is that right?

By the way, I am going to keep the meter cabinet here when the house is finished, not move it inside. Its located in plain site just next as you come through the main gate so, at the end of the build, I am thinking to replace this cheap meter cabinet with something nicer to look at, perhaps made of brick or perhaps one of this nice green posh-looking meter cabinets. I am also going to have an EV charging point here too for an electric car, exactly where this is positioned.

(p.s. vandals knocked the door off; so I have taped it back on with parcel tape.)

252441290_Meterbox.thumb.jpg.d267898afb8d2fa32ae50bed1a3dd991.jpg

imageproxy.php?img=&key=f5f06bfe2c42e69c

Just came across this thread when investigating our next steps for our electric connection. We are at this exact stage with supply terminated into a box like yours - now we need to get our supply over to the house (approx 20 metres).

Perhaps I have read it wrong however do you mean to have your meter installed in this box with your consumer unit in your house? Is this allowed?

Just now, soapstar said:

Perhaps I have read it wrong however do you mean to have your meter installed in this box with your consumer unit in your house? Is this allowed?

Yes, I now have a meter installed in the meter box shown in the photo (and two pairs of all-weather sockets beneath). When I have built my house, I will add a 80A fuse and run a cable underground about 15 metres to the plant room in my house, which will contain a second CU for the electrical distribution around the house. I believe it is OK, yes, but I am no expert and am following advice from this forum.

I believe it is the 80A fuse that is key in this set up.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, soapstar said:

to have your meter installed in this box with your consumer unit in your house? Is this allowed?

Soapstar, that is a very common setup - some have two meter boxes, one as above plus the meter in it and the other with the CU and feeds off to other locations.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BotusBuild said:

Soapstar, that is a very common setup - some have two meter boxes, one as above plus the meter in it and the other with the CU and feeds off to other locations.

3 minutes ago, Dreadnaught said:

@soapstar, here is a photo of the meter box with the meter, mini CU, and all-weather sockets beneath.

1044171393_Meterbox2.thumb.jpg.4bbe4aa619fad7d77567497c1de4cddb.jpg

Thats interesting thanks. It must be an old fashioned thing to have the entire meter box on the house now!

So regarding our setup does this mean then that we don't actually need SSE to extend our supply cable given the meter can be housed in the box 20 metres away? Obviously fused as you say then running the cable under the ground and into the garage? Any advice on the gauge of cable?

6 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Is that only temporary ..? Or will the main house run off that sub main board ..??

The meter box is temporary but the location will be the permanent location for the meter and the "main" CU. At the end of the build, I intend to replace this unsightly plastic meter box with something rather more attractive, perhaps one of those green metal kiosks or perhaps a brick cabinet. At this location, I also intend to be a EV charging point too.

2 minutes ago, soapstar said:

So regarding our setup does this mean then that we don't actually need SSE to extend our supply cable given the meter can be housed in the box 20 metres away? Obviously fused as you say then running the cable under the ground and into the garage? Any advice on the gauge of cable?

Wisely, I will let those more knowledgeable than me answer that.

Edited by Dreadnaught

13 minutes ago, soapstar said:

it would save us a lot of effort in getting the SSE squad out to move the cut-out fuse to the house!!

Yes, my thoughts too. When I will prettify the cabinet, I intend to try to do it without calling out UKPN. I quizzed the guy from SSE about this when he visiting to fit the meter and he said it is a grey area, and suggested that it may be possible to swap the cabinet by simply moving the plywood backing sheet over with everything still attached and remain in compliance with the regulations.

(By the way, I think it is UKPN's responsibility for moving a main fuse, not SSE as you mentioned, but I might be wrong.)

Edited by Dreadnaught

• 2 months later...

Hi, just jumping on the band wagon here. I also have exactly same scenario with meter box at edge of my plot but with 100amp fuse in cut-out, no meter (yet)

Did anyone have any luck working out size/guage of cable to run from cut-out into house? I'm glad this is an accepted method rather than having to move the whole fuse into new house when it's finished.

Thanks 

2 hours ago, mattp22 said:

Did anyone have any luck working out size/guage of cable to run from cut-out into house? I'm glad this is an accepted method rather than having to move the whole fuse into new house when it's finished.

How far is it from box to the house ..? You will have the meter in the box along with one of these, and then another isolator at the house end.